[SOLVED] Missing nginx.conf

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
schulze

Post by schulze »

I'm trying to install the Zimbra LDAP, Proxy and SNMP services on Mac OS X 10.4.11 for a multi-server setup.
In the graphical installer, I select the components mentioned above and the installer succeeds without errors.
Then I execute zmsetup.pl, adjust the settings as necessary, and again no errors are reported.
Doing su - zimbra and zmcontrol status gives me "zmnginxctl is not running". All other services are working though.

A zmnginxctl start gives me

/opt/zimbra/conf/nginx.conf is missing. Starting nginx...2009/02/09 16:12:43 [emerg] 4425#0: open() "/opt/zimbra/conf/nginx.conf" failed (2: No such file or directory) failed.
I have a /opt/zimbra/conf/nginx.conf.in, which seems to be the template, but no nginx.conf. Probably, zmsetup.pl did not create the nginx.conf from the template.
Any ideas, why this has happened and how to resolve the problem?
Thanks in advance.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Welcome to the forum.
Which ZCS version are you trying to setup ?
schulze

Post by schulze »

It's the 5.0.12 GA Network Edition for Tiger.
Network Edition with a trial license, I should add.
schulze

Post by schulze »

In the meantime, I have tried the same with the 5.0.13 GA Network Edition for Tiger - same problem.
However, installing all zimbra components results in a working nginx server. The missing nginx.conf only seems to happen with the limited selection of components mentioned above.
I kept the working nginx.conf (and all files referenced in it) for later use and reinstalled the system. Then I reinstalled the proxy, ldap and snmp components and copied the nginx configuration. Everything seems to work now.
There must be a bug in the graphical installer or the zmsetup.pl script.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Klug »

Yes, it seems to be Tiger related (either graphical installer or zmsetup.pl) as I already did the same on Linuxes without any issue.
Could you please file a bug ?
schulze

Post by schulze »

I found the following bug, which describes pretty much the same problem:
Bug 31260 – nginx not running after install
Next time, I'll search the bugzilla before posting here. :o
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by Klug »

I get it !
You can not setup a server with zimbra-proxy as long as there's no zimbra-mailstore installed in the multi-servers setup...
And as, in your setup, you seem to want to have proxy/ldap/snmp on a server and mailstore(s)/logger on other ones, you hit the problem.
So, if I understand correctly, you'll need to setup the mailstores servers (at least one) before you can start the proxy (because the proxy asks the mailstore in order to build the .conf files each time you start it).
Problem is not related to OS X...
schulze

Post by schulze »

[quote user="8141Klug"]

You can not setup a server with zimbra-proxy as long as there's no zimbra-mailstore installed in the multi-servers setup...

[/QUOTE]
That's what I understood from the Information in the bug report.
[quote user="8141Klug"]

And as, in your setup, you seem to want to have proxy/ldap/snmp on a server and mailstore(s)/logger on other ones, you hit the problem.

[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's exactly, what I wanted to do.
Now I did the following:

- Installed LDAP and Proxy on Host A (proxy not working yet)

- Installed Mailstore on Host B

- Executed zmproxyconfgen on Host A, started proxy
Worked well.