Hardware Requirements

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
uberdol

Hardware Requirements

Post by uberdol »

Mark,
Thank you so much with your answers. Yes, I need to clarify on what edition we are going with. We'll be deploying FOSS edition on Ubuntu (Simply because that's the distro we've been testing with, we can probably change, since there is nothing on production yet)
We already have the Sun Fire X4170 running vSphere in place. So based on your arguments about cpu's, would you say that 2 virtual CPU's would do the job? or should we just allocate 1 Virtual CPU. I know that a dedicated server may do a better job, but this is how everything is setup currently.
Regards,
Deniz.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hardware Requirements

Post by phoenix »

Performance Recommendations for Virtualizing Zimbra with VMware vSphere 4 - Zimbra :: Wiki
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Hardware Requirements

Post by L. Mark Stone »

[quote user="uberdol"]Mark,
Thank you so much with your answers. Yes, I need to clarify on what edition we are going with. We'll be deploying FOSS edition on Ubuntu (Simply because that's the distro we've been testing with, we can probably change, since there is nothing on production yet)
We already have the Sun Fire X4170 running vSphere in place. So based on your arguments about cpu's, would you say that 2 virtual CPU's would do the job? or should we just allocate 1 Virtual CPU. I know that a dedicated server may do a better job, but this is how everything is setup currently.
Regards,
Deniz.[/QUOTE]
I'd go with two cores; no need for more with so few users and this will allow Java and MySQL to execute at the same time.
All the best,

Mark
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Hardware Requirements

Post by fcash »

For 50 users, even if they were all web users, you really don't need a lot of hardware/horsepower.
As an example, we run a Linux-KVM VM for our Zimbra NE 5.0.13 install with the following virtual hardware:

2 virtual CPUs

8 GB of RAM

1 TB disk

For 2100 active accounts, 90% of which are web users, most of which are online throughout the day, with around 60 Blackberry users, and a handful of ActiveSync users. We don't have quotas set at the moment.
50 users with 1 GB of quota is peanuts and can easily be run off a VM with a single virtual CPU and 4 GB of RAM. It all depends on the hardware underneath the VM (we have 8 other VMs running, including Windows 2003 and XP VMs, all on a 4 core Opteron system with 16 GB of RAM and a horribly non-optimal 12-drive RAID6 array).
Shoot, you could run that in a VirtualBox VM running on someone's desktop. 50 users is nothing, even if they are all online simultaneously via the Advanced web client.