Upgrading patches, looses postfix customisations

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
PhD
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by PhD »

Hi there, im running 7.1.0 NE of zimbra, (on our production server, and test server) and ive got some customisations, like recipientmap changes in postfix
im using zimbra as a secondary internal server, which receives emails forwarded from our external mail server which is our mx record for our domain. The zimbra server has the domain "example.com" configured.
So an alias is setup for a user on the external server, and its set to forward to the internal zimbra server
EG:
joe.bloggs: joe.bloggs@zimbra.example.com

(where zimbra.example.com is the hostname of the internal server)

so to get the zimbra server to accept emails forwarded to username@zimbra.example.com, ive had to add the following configuration:
add zimbra.example.com to a "recipientmap" file in the postfix dir, and then enable it in the zimbra configuration. I do this by running the following:
echo "@zimbra.example.com.au @example.com.au" > /opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_recipientmap

/opt/zimbra/postfix-2.7.2.2z/sbin/postmap /opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_recipientmap

postconf -e recipient_canonical_maps=hash:/opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_recipientmap
Now, it seems like when updating a new patch release from zimbra, these changes get blown away, and i have to re-run the last command to re-add the postfix configuration for the recipientmap file.
Is there a way around this? so i dont have to worry about loosing any custom configurations on upgrades? ive also got client certificate authentication working - which survived the update on the test server... it still remembered all the signed user certificates.. it looks like just the custom postfix configuration is removed on upgrade...
any ideas?
xeon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by xeon »

Not sure I fully understand what you are doing but it sounds like you are trying to make the Zimbra server accept email from user@zimbra.example.com. The server is configured to accept email from example.com. So you are setting a Postfix map to access @zimbra.example.com. From my understanding and working environment when you setup a server as zimbra.example.com it by default accepts mail at that domain. You then need to add example.com as a domain. The users account would just need an alias added to there account as user@zimbra.example.com on there user@example.com. You do not need to make Postfix changes. I could not be understanding you fully or the postfix commands...
And yes any manual changes to Postfix or any configuration is usually blown out by an upgrade. You would need to use Zimbra command line tools to make changes that will last an upgrade.
afer

Post by afer »

I need to change the postfix's configuration (Zimbra 7.1 open source) and I can't find Zimbra commands to do that, where can I find documentation about? It is, I've seen something in the Administration Guide, but it's not enough and I'd like to know also how it works, so that I can (at my own risk) go directly to change where it stores such data.
Thanks to replying people and best regards to everyone,
Andrea
PhD
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by PhD »

hi xeon, thanks for your reply.. are you saying that i could merely add a "zimbra.example.com" domain in the admin console, and each user would automatically be able to receive emails sent to user@zimbra.example.com after adding the alias of user@zimbra.example.com to their user account?
i already have example.com as that is the actual domain that outbound emails are sent as.
xeon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by xeon »

[quote user="PhD"]hi xeon, thanks for your reply.. are you saying that i could merely add a "zimbra.example.com" domain in the admin console, and each user would automatically be able to receive emails sent to user@zimbra.example.com after adding the alias of user@zimbra.example.com to their user account?
i already have example.com as that is the actual domain that outbound emails are sent as.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is correct.
PhD
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by PhD »

actually i just tried this: while it works, the only problem is that the email shows the to: as user@zimbra.example.com
using the postfix recipient map commands above, emails sent to user@zimbra.example.com was re-written and the to address in the email shows as user@example.com
is there another setting id need to add to have the domain rewritten to example.com when sent to zimbra.example.com?

if there is, then i will switch over the way i do the rewrite, as its cleaner - but if i cant get @zimbra.example.com rewritten to @example.com - then i may have to stick to my previous method :(

Cheers :)

edit: actually found a nicer way to do what you mentioned - i can add a "domain alias" and call it zimbra.exmaple.com to be an alias of example.com...

i dont need to add any alases to any user, and it just "works" :)
thats much cleaner, and i can upgrade away without having to worry about blowing away my configs :)
Thanks for your help and directions