Which Operating System?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
arkitektron

Which Operating System?

Post by arkitektron »

Hello,
I am getting ready to get another dedicated linux server running which I paln to install Zimbra. Which operating system out of the following options would you choose to support Zimbra and why? ( Zimbra Collaboration Suite - Open Source Edition 7.0 64 bit)
Red Hat Enterprise 5

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
Please let me know your thoughts on the subject.
Thanks!
langs
Advanced member
Advanced member

Which Operating System?

Post by langs »

These choices often come down to personal preference much like deciding what hamburger to eat. That said I would not use Ubuntu, I have a dislike for the distro in general and can't fathom why anyone would run it in a production server environment (again that's my personal slant, milage will vary).
I like SUSE distro's but they have too much baggage for a production server environment so I would be leaning towards RHEL as it will have the most vendor support from storage HBA's to software like Zimbra. (use CentOS if a lack of official support doesn't phase you)
spectra
Advanced member
Advanced member

Which Operating System?

Post by spectra »

Here's my line up.
If I had the money , RHEL

If I had the time, CentOS

If I'm not in the mood to fool with the OS and I want to get up and running fast, Ubuntu 10 LTS

SuSE, forget it
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Which Operating System?

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="arkitektron"]Hello,
I am getting ready to get another dedicated linux server running which I paln to install Zimbra. Which operating system out of the following options would you choose to support Zimbra and why? ( Zimbra Collaboration Suite - Open Source Edition 7.0 64 bit)
Red Hat Enterprise 5

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
Please let me know your thoughts on the subject.
Thanks![/QUOTE]If I were you I'd wait for the CentOS 6 build to arrive and use that, you'll find a 64bit version of Zimbra 7 in the 'beta' section of the downloads page. It's beta only because RHEL6 is a new platform, Zimbra runs fine on that and I'm currently using it without problems (on Oracle UL 6) - that will save you having to move to the new version late later. If you're uncomfortable with that then CentOS5 is a perfectly good platform, use that.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
dipeshmehta
Advanced member
Advanced member

Which Operating System?

Post by dipeshmehta »

[quote user="spectra"]Here's my line up.
If I had the money , RHEL

If I had the time, CentOS

If I'm not in the mood to fool with the OS and I want to get up and running fast, Ubuntu 10 LTS

SuSE, forget it[/QUOTE]
I agree.......
Anyways, I use Ubuntu, 'cause I am much familier with debian like distros then others.
Dipesh
arkitektron

Which Operating System?

Post by arkitektron »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]If I were you I'd wait for the CentOS 6 build to arrive and use that, you'll find a 64bit version of Zimbra 7 in the 'beta' section of the downloads page. It's beta only because RHEL6 is a new platform, Zimbra runs fine on that and I'm currently using it without problems (on Oracle UL 6) - that will save you having to move to the new version late later. If you're uncomfortable with that then CentOS5 is a perfectly good platform, use that.[/QUOTE]
I don't see any download available for CentOS for Zimbra 7 Open Source edition. I am thinking Ubuntu 10? Any thoughts?
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Which Operating System?

Post by fcash »

[quote user="langs"]These choices often come down to personal preference much like deciding what hamburger to eat. That said I would not use Ubuntu, I have a dislike for the distro in general and can't fathom why anyone would run it in a production server environment (again that's my personal slant, milage will vary).[/quote]
When you are a Debian shop, and the software you want to use is supported by Ubuntu and not Debian, then you use Ubuntu.
Which, is exactly the case with Zimbra, unfortunately. :(
[quote]I would be leaning towards RHEL as it will have the most vendor support from storage HBA's to software like Zimbra. (use CentOS if a lack of official support doesn't phase you)[/QUOTE]
Ugh, we stopped using RedHat-based OSes 5+ years ago, when RHAS 2 was top-of-the-line. Compared to a Debian install, RedHat is just painful to use.
However, like you said, it all comes down to personal choice. Which is why it's nice that at least 1 distro for of each major package formats / configuration tools (RPM, DPK, YAST) is supported.
langs
Advanced member
Advanced member

Which Operating System?

Post by langs »

I really wish debian was supported and not ubuntu, if it was hand's down it would be debian I'd be using. I just can't come at ubuntu, but I know well the reasons why Zimbra supports it.
I too am glad that there are options from all the major distro camps... when CentOS 6 is released I will finally upgrade our mail environment from CentOS 4.
[QUOTE]I don't see any download available for CentOS for Zimbra 7 Open Source edition.[/QUOTE]
Just use the Redhat releases, they work perfectly for CentOS.
juniper

Which Operating System?

Post by juniper »

[quote user="langs"]I really wish debian was supported and not ubuntu, if it was hand's down it would be debian I'd be using. I just can't come at ubuntu, but I know well the reasons why Zimbra supports it.[/QUOTE]
I know Debian 5's been EOLed post 7 with Zimbra (which is maddening) but I'm using that with the community edition. Just got it working last night. I'd use Ubuntu, but Ubuntu doesn't play nicely with Xen anymore. So I guess if Debian 6 doesn't end up on Zimbra's roadmap, I'll be stuck at 7 for the foreseeable future.
quanah
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Which Operating System?

Post by quanah »

debian6 is already on the roadmap.
--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect, Symas http://www.symas.com/
OpenLDAP Core team http://www.openldap.org/project/