Zimbra with Outlook 2003 and IE7 Help

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
glassman

Post by glassman »

Hello all
I've got a client who is currently using IE7 with Outlook 2003. The issue is that when she clicks a link to automatically start her default mail client from her browser, it states that the default mail program is not installed. This is untrue as I've double checked that it is installed, currently gets mail, and is set as the default mail program.
I'm wondering if this is an issue with whatever version of the Zimbra Outlook Connector she currently has installed. Was this a previous bug? I did a forum search and found nothing. If there is already a thread on this, I apologize and will gladly take a link re-directing me. Otherwise, can someone shed some possible light on the issue?
Thanks

Glassman
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="glassman"]Hello all
I've got a client who is currently using IE7 with Outlook 2003. The issue is that when she clicks a link to automatically start her default mail client from her browser, it states that the default mail program is not installed. This is untrue as I've double checked that it is installed, currently gets mail, and is set as the default mail program.
I'm wondering if this is an issue with whatever version of the Zimbra Outlook Connector she currently has installed. Was this a previous bug? I did a forum search and found nothing. If there is already a thread on this, I apologize and will gladly take a link re-directing me. Otherwise, can someone shed some possible light on the issue?
Thanks

Glassman[/QUOTE]
I'm using Outlook 2007 and IE7 and this works fine for me. The launch of Outlook should not be affected by ZCO since it is just a registered store provider. I wonder if you are having some conflicts with previous Outlook versions that were installed.
glassman

Post by glassman »

On my computer, I've also got IE7 and Outlook 2003 and it works fine for me too. Seeing as there are no updates left for IE7 at the moment, that leaves the connector or Outlook, and since we are both using the same version of Outlook, that leaves the connector as far as deductive reasoning. The other avenue not explored is to see if a windows update may have some sort of affect.
I'm not saying you are wrong. Just trying to clarify why I think it is the connector as that is the only difference between our machines. I'll double check previous installs of Outlook, but as far as I know our machines are clones.
Cheers!

Glassman
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="glassman"]On my computer, I've also got IE7 and Outlook 2003 and it works fine for me too. Seeing as there are no updates left for IE7 at the moment, that leaves the connector or Outlook, and since we are both using the same version of Outlook, that leaves the connector as far as deductive reasoning. The other avenue not explored is to see if a windows update may have some sort of affect.
I'm not saying you are wrong. Just trying to clarify why I think it is the connector as that is the only difference between our machines. I'll double check previous installs of Outlook, but as far as I know our machines are clones.
Cheers!

Glassman[/QUOTE]
Hi,
Ok...there are a couple of things that i would try. First you can enable ZCO logging to see if we are logging anything. Second you can try to uninstall ZCO and see if things start "working" again. I don't know if you have Outlook forced to start with a specific profile but you might want to go to the mail control panel applet and tell it that Outlook should show you a profile selection dialog before it starts. That way, if you click the link in IE and Outlook still doesn't come up...it has nothing to do with ZCO because our provider isn't loaded at that point. If Outlook comes up and you select the ZCO profile and dies immediately...then it is us.
--Tony
Outlook Troubleshooting Options - Zimbra :: Wiki
glassman

Post by glassman »

Hi,
Ok...there are a couple of things that i would try. First you can enable ZCO logging to see if we are logging anything. Second you can try to uninstall ZCO and see if things start "working" again. I don't know if you have Outlook forced to start with a specific profile but you might want to go to the mail control panel applet and tell it that Outlook should show you a profile selection dialog before it starts. That way, if you click the link in IE and Outlook still doesn't come up...it has nothing to do with ZCO because our provider isn't loaded at that point. If Outlook comes up and you select the ZCO profile and dies immediately...then it is us.
--Tony
Okay how do I enable ZCO logging? I've not done much on the server side of things that isn't graphical. I was trying to avoid having to reload all the emails and such, but will do so if necessary. Outlook is configured only with Zimbra profile of the user for that system (via the form that the Connector initiates upon Outlooks startup post install). The mail control panel applet is in the Admin Console? Sorry if I seem a bit 'Green'. Just making sure I'm asking the right questions.
Thank you again Tony

Glassman
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="glassman"]Hi,
--Tony
Okay how do I enable ZCO logging? I've not done much on the server side of things that isn't graphical. I was trying to avoid having to reload all the emails and such, but will do so if necessary. Outlook is configured only with Zimbra profile of the user for that system (via the form that the Connector initiates upon Outlooks startup post install). The mail control panel applet is in the Admin Console? Sorry if I seem a bit 'Green'. Just making sure I'm asking the right questions.
Thank you again Tony

Glassman[/QUOTE]
If you go to the control panel of the box in question...There will be an icon labelled "Mail". This applet allows you to add/delete/modify mail profiles. When you launch this application, the bottom of the dialog will ask you if you always want Outlook to start with a specified profile (there will be a drop down list of configured profiles) or if you want Outlook to ask you which profile you want to use every time that it starts. This is the one that you want to pick because you will be guaranteed to see some visual confirmation that Outlook has started before any Zimbra components are loaded.
In terms of enabling logging, my last post had a link to the wiki that describes the process.
thanks!

--Tony
kirme3
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kirme3 »

I assume you have checke dthe default program settings(through Internet Options in Control Panel) to make sure the Outlook is indeed the default mail editor.
If not, open Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs Tab. By the way, is the person using Vista or XP?