About the zimbra mobile.

Take your Zimbra with you!
sshgz
Advanced member
Advanced member

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by sshgz »

I want to know more about the Zimbra Mobile, how does the Zimbra communicates with the mobile service provider.
What software and hardware will i must install for the Zimbra Mobile?
Thank you.
17629anand
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by 17629anand »

No new additional hardware is required on the server side. Software cohabits with the mailbox server (except for some devices for which third party software is required...)
Risotto

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by Risotto »

What exactly would I need zimbra mobile for? Wont activesync devices sync already without ZM? Is this behaviour going to be changed in future releases? What about 4.0? Will we need to get ZM for syncing with any mobile device?
To be honest, I would be reluctant to shell out even more money just for mobile sync. If I remember well this was always advertised as an upcoming feature of the NE version of Zimbra. Did this change lately? Isn't this going to be standard for NE anymore?
cboni
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by cboni »

Zimbra Mobile enables two-way over the air sync of mail, contacts, and calendar data. This is a new feature of 4.0, although it was available previously as a beta. You can also sync mail to mobile devices via IMAP, but Zimbra Mobile enables comprehensive sync of mail, contacts, and calendar.
Zimbra Mobile is a separate charge, and usually works out to be a small amount relative to the standard Network Edition cost. If you would like to discuss pricing alternatives I would suggest contacting the Zimbra sales team.
Risotto

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by Risotto »

I have just seen that in the product charts zimbra mobile is stated to be included in both networked editions. Does this mean that this is now available without an additional charge? Did zimbra change the policy on this?
The page in question is: http://www.zimbra.com/products/product_editions.html
cboni
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by cboni »

Zimbra Mobile is available for both the Network Standard Edition and Network Professional Edition, but there is an additional charge for it in both cases. We will make sure that is clarified in the web page that compares product editions.
Risotto

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by Risotto »

Ok, I think that clarification is important since people might think that ZM is included at no additional charge. This might pose a problem to VARs und hosting providers like us.
Anyway, it's sad you really need to charge extra for such a nice feature. I hope people will still be willing to pay for this. Zimbra could be killer if it had these advanced features standard! These are the things that really lift you off from your competition. But charging extra for this will quickly relativate that bonus.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="Risotto"]Ok, I think that clarification is important since people might think that ZM is included at no additional charge. This might pose a problem to VARs und hosting providers like us.
Anyway, it's sad you really need to charge extra for such a nice feature. I hope people will still be willing to pay for this. Zimbra could be killer if it had these advanced features standard! These are the things that really lift you off from your competition. But charging extra for this will quickly relativate that bonus.[/QUOTE]
Even for the smallest of deployments the cost per-user of Zimbra Mobile is pretty small. One way would have been that we increase the price of the Network for all users, but since some folks have no interest in over the air sync we decided to price it as an option. Either way the additional cost is much much lower than any alternatives for over-the-air sync.
russgalleywood
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by russgalleywood »

I'm sorry to labour the point Kevin but exactly how much is the Zimbra Mobile plugin?

Is it really $500?

We have maybe one or two Users who will need this so there is no way we would ever pay this much for it? Is this really the starting price?

We would be fine with a per User charge if reasonable so can you please just indulge me for a second and clear this up?
Apologies in advance as I'm sure you are sick of repeating this again!
Russ
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

About the zimbra mobile.

Post by 14319KevinH »

It starts at $500. We don't sell 1-2 user packs of Zimbra Mobile just like we don't sell 1-2 user packs of the Network Edition. If you have a more detailed or need a specfic quote for your case I'd email sales @ zimbra.com, since I don't have all full list of pricing options.