Apple iPhone

Take your Zimbra with you!
jburford

Apple iPhone

Post by jburford »

I have heard some rumors that Zimbra will make a connector for the iphone that will allow it to sync contact wirelessly.... Any truth to that?
Alexis Martin

Apple iPhone

Post by Alexis Martin »

HI. I guess you have yourself replied to your question by saying it a rumor. Even I have heard the same but no such information have been published by zimbra till date.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Apple iPhone

Post by jholder »

No plans to write a custom connector for the iPhone.
Once Apple opens up their SDK, we'll look at it, and see if that's something our customers what.
petieg

Apple iPhone

Post by petieg »

We want... we want!!! Who wouldn't? The idea of having to sync your iPhone w/ a cable is, IMHO, a step backwards from Treos (but i believe the benefits of the iPhone far outweigh this or I would not have bought one). While iZimbra will be fully appreciated (especially when needed to login to somebody elses mailbox/calendar, etc) I want to only connect my iPhone to power NOT USB for syncing. Now if Apple would only implement IDLE we'd be soooo much a bb killer.
DrXero

Apple iPhone

Post by DrXero »

I'll second that motion -- I've been a happy iPhone user since they cost $600, and I'd love to see an over-the-air sync. Here's hoping the SDK makes things like that easy.
I suppose it could even come from somebody in the community, eh?
pl804

Apple iPhone

Post by pl804 »

I'm also hugely in favor of this. Who wouldn't prefer OTA sync vs. syncing over USB?
G00FIN42

Apple iPhone

Post by G00FIN42 »

Just wanted to add my vote.
langs
Advanced member
Advanced member

Apple iPhone

Post by langs »

What exactly can't you do with it? I sync my iPhone to zimbra mobile just like any other mobile device and it works fine.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Apple iPhone

Post by jholder »

I assume you mean that you sync it to iTunes, and iTunes syncs via iSync to your server.
The iPhone does not support the ActiveSync protocol, thus does not support Over The Air (OTA) sync.
Also, Apple has not released an SDK, thus it is against their terms of use for us to create a native application for the iPhone.
langs
Advanced member
Advanced member

Apple iPhone

Post by langs »

No it sync's directly to the mail server, doesn't touch i tunes, it grabs the contacts, mail etc just fine. Using the same method as my HTC smart phone.