Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="nxnw"]I don't think anyone here has suggested that you give "everything for free".[/QUOTE]
Totally agree, but everyone wants something different. Outlook, iSync, Backup, Domain Admin. There will never be the *right* set of items since everybody has different needs. If we let you pick and choose then we'd never be able to fund future versions of Zimbra.
[quote user="nxnw"]Out of curiosity, do you base you assessment of amazing adoption on downloads or some other statistics? If it's not confidential information, how many Zimbra OSS servers are in service now (as opposed to being evaluated), and what do you base this belief on?[/QUOTE]
There are a number of internal and external factors we use. Downloads and forum traffic/users are one measure but there are others. The exact number of OSS installs is unknown but you can make some guesses.
1319arion

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 1319arion »

I've got a Community Edition Zimbra server running in a test environment (haven't migrated my criticial domain to it yet). I understand the differences between the Network Edition and Community Edition. However, I'd *love* to use the iSync connector w/o purchasing the Network Edition. I mean, I've got less than 10 users (just me and family/friends) and there is no way I can justify it.
However, I'd be more than happy to pay a client-license fee (i.e. $35 each or something) for individual copies of the iSync client... Have you guys considered a pricing model like this?
Other people have voiced their opinion of having a the iSync client included in the Community Edition, and if you decide to do that, great... but please provide an option for us Community Edition guys that would like to tap into a couple of the Network Edition features without forking over thousands of dollars..
Thanks for the great work! Its been fun watching this product mature and I'm excited about migrating my main email domain to Zimbra someday soon...
-Arion
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="1319arion"]However, I'd be more than happy to pay a client-license fee (i.e. $35 each or something) for individual copies of the iSync client... Have you guys considered a pricing model like this?[/QUOTE]
Not something we offer today. I'm going to keep it short as the reasons why have been covered in depth in both this thread and others.
ojehle

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by ojehle »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]What devices do you have? If the device support SyncML then you should be all set.
Maybe... but it sure makes it a bit easier to pay our bills. In general they have the tools and ability to track who wants what. So while I do refer to sales@zimbra.com it's because they have the tools to track which customers or prospective customers want certain features. So when iSync was ready it was trivial for them to notify the folks who had interest in that functionality. Similar when we first released the Outlook connector. This will also be the same for SyncML and Treo/PocketPC sync when they are ready for beta.[/QUOTE]
we have here PalmOS(Treo) and Pocket PC's .. So syncml should work as long as we need no Windows components ;) this is the main question.... and a idea until the solution will be ready for beta ....
i will contact the sales department, after i convinced my boss, that zimbra is the right way to go...
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="ojehle"]we have here PalmOS(Treo) and Pocket PC's .. So syncml should work as long as we need no Windows components ;) this is the main question.... and a idea until the solution will be ready for beta ....
i will contact the sales department, after i convinced my boss, that zimbra is the right way to go...[/QUOTE]
Treo support is in there. The internal beta has both Treo 650/700w working and we've sync'd a few PocketPC phone/PDA devices. So you should be all set. We hope to have a beta for this work out within a couple months if not earlier.
nxnw

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by nxnw »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Totally agree, but everyone wants something different. Outlook, iSync, Backup, Domain Admin. There will never be the *right* set of items since everybody has different needs. If we let you pick and choose then we'd never be able to fund future versions of Zimbra.[/QUOTE]I wonder how many people think synching and reminders are not essential.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="nxnw"]I wonder how many people think synching and reminders are not essential.[/QUOTE]
Fewer think they're worth paying for, apparently.
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by Aderium »

Ok , so I am at a fragile moment.
1) Whait anxiously for a Network Version of Zimbra on Mac OS X Server / or/ Cleint /or / Server but not Open Directory Server or Replica.
2) Run FreeBSD and turn on the Linux emulation on IBM eseries dual Xeon
3) Do the hole Linux Red Hat thing
Answer

"Wish you were here"
--

I will be forced to continue to be more aware of Communigate Pro 5 Capabilities and wait. I will not choose (3). Linux is not an option for now.
And were would the Darwin Intel fir at this point ?
Uhmmmm Need some timeline for OS X Tiger Server - Now ! ! -
Later
Anthony Palermo

MIS Director

WSG Development Company
Miami
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by marcmac »

email sales@zimbra.com and say the magic words "Apple network beta"
nxnw

Zimbra Apple iSync Beta

Post by nxnw »

[quote user="marcmac"]Fewer think they're worth paying for, apparently.[/QUOTE]No, it seems to me that everyone who feels it is essential IS paying someone else for it right now. I do not think it is worth paying $150 per seat annually, however, which is what the Zimbra commercial version would cost my small office.