Basic iSync Connector Setup Question

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
silurius

Post by silurius »

I'm not a Mac person and I'm trying to deploy the installer for iSync for my Macintosh users. My instance is being maintained by an ASP, and they provided me with a zip archive with the iSync installers. I am trying to place this onto a web server and point my users to it so they can begin the install over the web.
The zip archive creates a folder called "Zimbra-iSync-0912.pkg". The PDF walkthrough I have tells Mac users to click on this item in order to launch the installation process. However if I'm delivering this to them over http, what steps would I need to take to ensure that their local machines recognized it as an installer file as opposed to a folder? My apologies for such a silly, fundamental question; I just don't have much experience with Macintosh support so have do do a lot of guesswork.
gmsmith
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gmsmith »

[quote user="silurius"]I'm not a Mac person and I'm trying to deploy the installer for iSync for my Macintosh users. My instance is being maintained by an ASP, and they provided me with a zip archive with the iSync installers. I am trying to place this onto a web server and point my users to it so they can begin the install over the web.
The zip archive creates a folder called "Zimbra-iSync-0912.pkg". The PDF walkthrough I have tells Mac users to click on this item in order to launch the installation process. However if I'm delivering this to them over http, what steps would I need to take to ensure that their local machines recognized it as an installer file as opposed to a folder? My apologies for such a silly, fundamental question; I just don't have much experience with Macintosh support so have do do a lot of guesswork.[/QUOTE]
The Mac will recognize the .pkg as a package to install, though I would distribute the zip file from your provider to the end user.
silurius

Post by silurius »

[quote user="gmsmith"]The Mac will recognize the .pkg as a package to install, though I would distribute the zip file from your provider to the end user.[/QUOTE]Thank you for the quick feedback. Normally I would have passed the archive along as is with instructions, but the same set of users who are on a Mac are also, for the most part, pretty tech-phobic.