iSync Connector

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

iSync Connector

Post by davidfsmith »

Is it just me or is the iSync connector not actually that great.
I mean it's average to good, and it is certainly better than where we were with CMGPro, but in light of getting BES up and running with Zimbra I'm starting to really notice that appointments don't appear in iCal (when on the server / bb) and contacts aren't updated. I'm just starting to get a feeling of unease about using it. I like using Mail / iCal / Address book and I'd prefer to continue using them, but with the seeming lag, or none appearance of information from the server in iCal / Address book I'm started to get a little weary of it.
Are other people having similar issues, or is this something that with a bit of data tidying and resetting I can work around.
Currently I use
Mail / Address Book / iCal on my mac (using the iSync Connector)

Zimbra 5.0 Server

Blackberry using BES talking to Zimbra
Is there a correct / recommended path to go to reset all the data?
(for the record the outlook connector seems to work just fine - but there is no way I'm switching from a mac)
sculi2000
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

iSync Connector

Post by sculi2000 »

Sorry to hear you're having some problems with the connector. The logs that the connector generates are often a great help in pinning down what the problem might be. They are located in ~/Library/Logs/Zimbra.
If you have a minute, could you zip up the log folder and attach it?
Thanks,
Scott
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

iSync Connector

Post by davidfsmith »

[quote user="sculi2000"]Sorry to hear you're having some problems with the connector. The logs that the connector generates are often a great help in pinning down what the problem might be. They are located in ~/Library/Logs/Zimbra.
If you have a minute, could you zip up the log folder and attach it?
Thanks,
Scott[/QUOTE]
I'm going to remove the iSync connector and have a play with getting CalDAV to work (so wish me luck)
However when I was playing with that last night it wasn't working either, so I've attached the iSync logs....
com.zimbra.189d20e02276b-76b0a044-ba9d3a32-7f1ff05.zip
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

iSync Connector

Post by davidfsmith »

Ok so re-installed, am now trying with CalDAV
The CalDAV account wasn't auto created as per the documentation, and so I added it, and now I have the calendars showing, but can't actually add entries to them in iCal, so that seems fairly pointless....
Please tell me there is something simple I'm missing on this as I'm started to get frustrated with this now.
sculi2000
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

iSync Connector

Post by sculi2000 »

CalDAV should allow you to add entries. When you say that you can't, what exactly is happening?
Thanks,
Scott
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

iSync Connector

Post by davidfsmith »

[quote user="sculi2000"]CalDAV should allow you to add entries. When you say that you can't, what exactly is happening?
Thanks,
Scott[/QUOTE]
I've actually got a support case open for this, however when I try and add / edit an entry in iCal on a shared calendar (rather than my own) then I get the error
"Request Error

This is not a valid location for this request"
Hope this helps
sculi2000
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

iSync Connector

Post by sculi2000 »

Okay, really dumb question. Have you verified that you indeed have write access to the shared calendar? Can you add entries to it using the Web Client?
I know...this is like asking "Are you sure it's plugged in"? I figure I'll get the dumb questions out of the way early.
Thanks,
Scott
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

iSync Connector

Post by davidfsmith »

[quote user="sculi2000"]Okay, really dumb question. Have you verified that you indeed have write access to the shared calendar? Can you add entries to it using the Web Client?
I know...this is like asking "Are you sure it's plugged in"? I figure I'll get the dumb questions out of the way early.
Thanks,
Scott[/QUOTE]
*grin*
yep, checked this one several times (including recreating the share)
I have manager permissions on the calendar and can happily add / edit / delete through the web client.
It's the first question I'd ask as well :D
sculi2000
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

iSync Connector

Post by sculi2000 »

Well, I wish I had a more intelligent follow up question. It sounds like there's a bug in our CalDAV implementation, which I'm quite sure your support request will illuminate.
If I find anything else about this problem, I will most definitely post what I find out.
Scott
mbd
Advanced member
Advanced member

iSync Connector

Post by mbd »

I'm seeing a similar error using Caldav from iCal on a mac to a Zimbra 5.0.1 NE server when creating a new event. If your support ticket turns into a logged bug, please mention it in this thread so I can vote on it :-).
(Did a quick search through bugzilla and was unable to find out)
cheers!