Lightning hanging up Tbird on ZCS 5.0.11?

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
gkra
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by gkra »

We upgraded our NE server to 5.0.11 last night, and now all of our Thunderbird users who are using Lightning are noticing that Thunderbird occasionally hangs for up to a couple minutes at a time, as well as hanging for a minute or two when starting up.
This has been reported to me with the latest versions of both Thunderbird and Lightning (2.0.0.18 and 0.9, respectively).
The slowdowns and hangs stop if we remove Lightning from the configuration.
Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not seeing anything obvious in mailbox.log.
ikiini

Post by ikiini »

[quote user="gkra"]We upgraded our NE server to 5.0.11 last night, and now all of our Thunderbird users who are using Lightning are noticing that Thunderbird occasionally hangs for up to a couple minutes at a time, as well as hanging for a minute or two when starting up.
This has been reported to me with the latest versions of both Thunderbird and Lightning (2.0.0.18 and 0.9, respectively).
The slowdowns and hangs stop if we remove Lightning from the configuration.
Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not seeing anything obvious in mailbox.log.[/QUOTE]
I am having the same problem. I can't seem to get my calendar to work. Its been working for the longest while, up until earlier today when I updated thunderbird and lightning to 2.0.0.21 and 0.9 respectively. Please if you found whats wrong, post it as it would help. If I find something i'll do the same.
-B
gkra
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by gkra »

[quote user="ikiini"]I am having the same problem. I can't seem to get my calendar to work. Its been working for the longest while, up until earlier today when I updated thunderbird and lightning to 2.0.0.21 and 0.9 respectively. Please if you found whats wrong, post it as it would help. If I find something i'll do the same.
-B[/QUOTE]
Our "solution" was to back Lightening out of Thunderbird entirely, and offer people Sunbird instead. We banged our heads on it for some time, and finally just gave up.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

If you're using them both (TB + Lightning) in https, it's a know bug in TB 2.x (related to "single https thread").
There's a floating patch (not tested) for 2.x and it's nicely fixed in TB 3.x.
bcoulter

Post by bcoulter »

[quote user="8141Klug"]If you're using them both (TB + Lightning) in https, it's a know bug in TB 2.x (related to "single https thread").
There's a floating patch (not tested) for 2.x and it's nicely fixed in TB 3.x.[/QUOTE]

Where is this patch available? I googled for it but was not able to find it.
dustys
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dustys »

Does anyone know where this patch can be found? We are currently experiencing the same issue (it appears) on 5.0.15 NE. I'm downloading the TB 3.0 Beta to see if this corrects the issue.
DJS
dustys
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dustys »

Just a follow-up. I have tried TB 3 beta and Lightning 1.0-pre. Although behavior improves, it still isn't usable. I also attempted to get the latest stable release of Sunbird. It's performance too was unacceptable.
Both setups would lag in showing changes to the calendars and when I made a change, it would try to reload the entire calendar. This would lock the app up for a few minutes while it pulled everything again.
The big question: Has anyone deployed either Lightning and / or Sunbird on a recent release of ZCS and had good performance?
Thanks!

Dusty
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

There are two different issues...
5.0.15 is über-crappy in CalDAV for Lightning/SunBird (while it works nicely for iCal).

If you have calendar with lots of objects, you _need_ to upgrade to 5.0.16 to get a "normal" behaviour in Lightning/SunBird.

See here : Bug 37044 : CalDAV with Lightning "broken" in 5.0.15
As you've tried with SunBird and found the performance unacceptable, I guess you're hitting this issue...

And you need to ugprade to 5.0.16 to get through it.
For people looking for the patch, the easiest way to find it is to look at Mozilla's bugzilla...

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=390036
dustys
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dustys »

Klug,
Thanks for the reply and pointing to the Bug! We are planning the upgrade to 5.0.16 in the next few weeks.
Regards,

Dusty