Zimbra Calendar & Thunderbird

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
fishwolf

Post by fishwolf »

Can i user zimbra calendar (shared feature) with Thunderbird ?
With lighting extension or other.
Thanks
lithorus
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by lithorus »

Yes, through lightning extension and the caldav protocol
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

This has worked for us until today. Last night our zimbra provider upgraded to v.5.0.15, and now Zimbra calendar no longer works with Thunderbird+Lightning. It reads the calendar but returns MODIFICATION_FAILED on all attempts to write to the calendar. Me very sad.
Correction, we used ical and that stopped working. Using caldav seems to still work, although the calendar is showing a warning sign saying the calendar is not available.
dustys
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dustys »

See the post here. We are experiencing the same behavior after our upgrade to 5.0.15. We are going to 5.0.16 this week.
DJS
omegainstitute
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by omegainstitute »

We're runnin OSS 5.0.16, and we are beginning to see issues with Lightning's iCal implementation. I have 2 Lightning users, who have shared calendars and are accessing them via Lightning's iCal. 1 User's calendar just won't load, while the other gets constant meeting alerts, and can't dismiss the alerts no matter what he does. Any idea as to what log file on the zimbra server I should be looking at for errors regarding this activity?
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

You need to be a bit more clearer here.
iCal is the name of an Apple software (the calendar application in OS X).
iCalendar is RFC 2445 (a format designed to transmit calendar-based data, such as events, and intentionally does not describe what to do with that data).
CalDAV is RFC 4791 (a standard allowing a client to access scheduling information on a remote server).
So how exactly are you client calendar software (Lightning) setup ?

Are they using "iCalendar" (ics) or "CalDAV"?
The first one (iCalendar) should not be used...
omegainstitute
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by omegainstitute »

Yeah.. My bad. Sorry about that.
Currently we are using ICS (iCalendar). I should note that I only experienced the problems above, once I did the upgrade from OSS 5.0.11 to 5.0.16.
I am now trying to setup CalDev connections to my calendars (being as you stated iCalendar should not be used) and I am not getting anything shown in Lightning. I get the warning icon on the calendar stating the calendar is momentarily unavailable.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

The URL is different from ICS : http(s)://server.domain.tld/dav/user@domain.tld/CalendarName
omegainstitute
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by omegainstitute »

Do you mind if I start a Private Message chain with you Klug? I think I've changed the location to what you're describing and it's still not working. Would like to send my configs via PM's to you if at all possible..

Edit 1: When I use the URL in a web browser I get what seems to be proper information out of zimbra, so I am at a loss why it's not working in Lightning. Hope to hear from you Klug.
Edit 2: Looking at the error console for Thunderbird, I am seeing a DAV_NOT_DAV error:
Warning: There has been an error reading data for calendar: IT Dept Calendar. However, this error is believed to be minor, so the program will attempt to continue. Error code: DAV_NOT_DAV. Description: The resource at /dav//IT">http:///dav//IT%20Department%20Calendar is either not a DAV collection or not available
Thanks,
- Rob
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

Is there any way for a user to check what version is currently running? Like in the web client somewhere?