iSync problem with ZCS upgrade (7.1.4/7.2)

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
MacGuyinNC

Post by MacGuyinNC »

Bumping this old thread, because we're seeing the same problems.
We're running 64-bit 7.1.4 Network Edition on RHEL5, and we've got Mac OS X clients with the iSync connector (7.1.3201). I've tried trashing the user's Zimbra folder in ~/Library/Application Support, but that hasn't helped.
If I modify the username, it allows me to sync... for a while. Eventually, it stops.
This started happening once we upgraded the server from running 6.0.10 on Mac OS 10.5.
MacGuyinNC

Post by MacGuyinNC »

No one has any thoughts on this matter at all?
14645ApolloDS

Post by 14645ApolloDS »

Hi,

This is really annoying since the iSync Connector is not usable like this.

I get per sync try a new Settings Icon in the Dock and also the message bad username. It was working for 5 minutes first.

I checked the user account and it is not locked.
Please check attachement for a screenshot.
Peter
Bildschirmfoto 2012-05-07 um 11.27.09.png
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

I moved the new portion of this thread since the old thread almost certainly was a different issue.
Anyway, I'm seeing the same problem with a number of users, after upgrading from ZCS 7.1.3 to 7.2. So I would guess that this is an issue affecting 7.1.4 and 7.2. Possibly it's separate issues, but I doubt it.
So far, I've upgraded one user from the 6.x connector to the latest (7.2) connector, but that did no good.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

I should mention that CardDAV works well if you have Mac OS 10.7. So with 10.7, you can just set everything up manually and avoid the iSync connector entirely.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

This seems to work:
Solution:
First make sure you have just one instance of System Preferences open. This bug can cause System Preferences to appear multiple times, so close the extra ones.
Then go into Zimbra Preferences pane within System Preferences.
In the field for your username, change the text to anything. E.g. instead of username@company.com, make it just username.
Click the sync tab and watch sync fail.
Click the account tab again and change your username back to username@company.com.
Click the sync tab again. It should succeed now.
Note: diagnosing/resolving this bug is easily masked by the fact that many users don't know their passwords. It's even worse if you have an account lockout set. So make sure the user isn't locked out. If you've fiddled with the password at all, make sure you now have the correct password entered in the Password field of the Zimbra preferences pane.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

The workaround has only worked for a day or two in several cases. Not sure whether the other Mac folks on Snow Leopard are unaffected, or if they're just gritting their teeth.
I've reported this to Zimbra support, and they've created a bugzilla entry for the issue: Bug 75337 – Repeated system alerts after upgrading to 7.2
dmaddock

Post by dmaddock »

We are currently running a trial of 7.2 and are seeing the exact same issue.

The installation was a clean install on a new server.

Using multiple client types on the system (Thunderbird-Lightning-Zindus, Outlook, Apple iCal - Address book)
Problem was reported to me as
The Systems Settings pane is popping up repeatedly with this prompt:
To use the “Zimbra” preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen.
Didn't start until yesterday. Didn't happen the first day after setting up Zimbra.
I've also noticed that the status of the Zimbra account in the Apple System Settings pane is red,

with error message "Bad username or password".

I updated the password again just in case. I don't recall making any changes since it was working.

Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.RHEL6_64_20120410002117 CentOS6_64 NETWORK edition.

zimbra-isync-7.2.0_GA_2666.MACOSX_UB - 32 bit
Making it hard to get user acceptance when this sort of bug occurs
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

I think you have access to support.zimbra.com with a trial. Would you mind filing a support request and referencing the bug? As a bug, it won't count against your ticket quota, and having more cases attached to the bug may get things moving faster to a solution.
For your trial, though, you might be able to get CardDAV working with Snow Leopard, as long as you just have a single domain in Zimbra. Then you could uninstall iSync and just configure IMAP/SMTP and CalDAV manually.
dmaddock

Post by dmaddock »

[quote user="ewilen"]I think you have access to support.zimbra.com with a trial. Would you mind filing a support request and referencing the bug? As a bug, it won't count against your ticket quota, and having more cases attached to the bug may get things moving faster to a solution.
For your trial, though, you might be able to get CardDAV working with Snow Leopard, as long as you just have a single domain in Zimbra. Then you could uninstall iSync and just configure IMAP/SMTP and CalDAV manually.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, I will report via Support.

I have added comments to the bug.
As for CardDAV, I will look into it, but we are running with multiple domains.