Office 2011 for Mac Outlook Support

Questions, comments, and problems with Zimbra on Apple desktops & general CalDAV / CardDAV questions.
iway
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by iway »

Hello!

How and when can Outlook for Mac (Office 2011) be used with Zimbra? This is really important since most business users with Macs will use Outlook...
Thanks
C.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="iway"]How and when can Outlook for Mac (Office 2011) be used with Zimbra? This is really important since most business users with Macs will use Outlook...[/QUOTE]Is this a question about iSync/CalDAV (as that's where you've posted it), if so what's the problem or question?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
iway
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by iway »

Well, sort of. How can Office Outlook for Mac sync with Zimbra for Mail (IMAP), Calendars and Contacts?

Easy question, actually...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="iway"]Well, sort of. How can Office Outlook for Mac sync with Zimbra for Mail (IMAP), Calendars and Contacts?

Easy question, actually...[/QUOTE]Well, the easy answer is in several parts: a) I've no idea as I don't use the MAC; b) I believe that Outlook 2011 is still in beta and details will be announced when it's released and if it's supported; c) I assume that iSync/CalDAV (and IMAP) would be the same as current versions of Outlook (unless you have any information that it's changed?).
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

Phoenix, there's no current version of Outlook for Mac. There was such a thing a long time ago, but it was replaced by Entourage. The new Outlook for Mac will replace Entourage in turn.
As I understand it, however, Outlook for Mac will not support CalDAV. I would expect it to support IMAP, just as Outlook for Windows does, but for other server interactions, all I've heard about is Microsoft's proprietary Exchange Web Services. This is the same interface used by Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition and by Apple Mail.app when connecting to an Exchange server.
The issue of EWS support is tracked under Bug 38631 - Enable snow leopard messaging features, Outlook for Mac 2010
As far as iSync support, I couldn't say. However if you look at what happened to Zimbra iSync with Entourage and Mac OS, I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed.
I would dispute the premise of the initial question, though. We don't know what most business users with Macs will use for email once Office 2011 is released. Right now at my company, they use Mail.app to talk to Zimbra, and they'll happily continue to do so. I imagine if a business has an Exchange server, or possibly (eventually) Kerio, they'll have a choice of Mail.app or Outlook 2011.
addynamo

Post by addynamo »

The beta version of Outlook 2011 for Mac is available & Zimbra does not sync contacts & calendar successfully with it.
prebenu

Post by prebenu »

[quote user="addynamo"]The beta version of Outlook 2011 for Mac is available & Zimbra does not sync contacts & calendar successfully with it.[/QUOTE]
I just tested with beta 6, and apparently it does not synchronize at all.
cvarghese

Post by cvarghese »

I bought Office 2011 for Mac and then realized it is not compatible with Zimbra. It is syncing my address book, but no emails/calendars are syncing.
Any update on a connector for Office 2k11 for Mac (Snow leopard).
Thanks

Cinu
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

glene@mailguard.com.au

Post by glene@mailguard.com.au »

I'm really interested in Zimbra Collaboration supporting Outlook on a Mac, do we have an update on when this might be anticipated?