Faield To Connect

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
Chris Behm

Faield To Connect

Post by Chris Behm »

So,
I scrapped the PPC idea for now and installed desktop on my intel mac. I was able to get the configuration screen and set up the account. I can now load the client. My next issue ( I know its an alpha release ) is, I can get some of my mail pulled in, it gets to a point where it gets choked up and throws me an error message saying. ( "this.parent has no properties")
I was just curious if anyone else evaluating desktop was recieving this error? I would be interested to hear some responses. I really do appreciate all the feedback and help.
Regards,
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Faield To Connect

Post by dkarp »

Looks like the client is having trouble keeping up with all the notifications generated by the sync. A reload of the page should fix things.
rmleonard

Faield To Connect

Post by rmleonard »

okay - I'm on a G5 - 10.4.9
dragontooth:~/zimbra/zdesktop rmleonard$ java -version

java version "1.5.0_07"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

On install it hung at the very end - after it had installed all of the files -
here is a dump of the zdesktop.err file

rmleonard$ cat zdesktop.err

3 [main] INFO org.mortbay.log - Logging to org.slf4j.impl.SimpleLogger(org.mortbay.log) via org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog

542 [main] INFO org.mortbay.log - Started SelectChannelConnector @ localhost:7633

1512 [main] INFO org.mortbay.log - Started SslSocketConnector @ localhost:7634

1512 [main] INFO org.mortbay.log - jetty-6.1.2rc1

1891 [main] INFO org.mortbay.log - No Transaction manager found - if your webapp requires one, please configure one.

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (zimbra.misc).

log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

Fatal error: terminating: Failed to loadLibrary(zimbra-native)

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/rmleonard/zimbra/zdesktop/lib/libzimbra-native.jnilib:

at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1676)

at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992)

at com.zimbra.znative.Util.loadLibrary(Util.java:48)

at com.zimbra.znative.Util.(Util.java:64)

at com.zimbra.znative.Process.geteuid(Process.java:41)

at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.PrivilegedServlet.init(PrivilegedServlet.java:138)

at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:241)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:449)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(ServletHolder.java:259)

at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:40)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:593)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:139)

at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1174)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:503)

at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:444)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:147)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.doStart(ContextHandlerCollection.java:141)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:147)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:117)

at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:210)

at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.main(XmlConfiguration.java:929)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at org.mortbay.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:183)

at org.mortbay.start.Main.start(Main.java:497)

at org.mortbay.start.Main.main(Main.java:115)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)

examining the process space -
I find that there is no "zimbra" anything running

So I am confused... What needs to be installed "first" to get this running?
[quote user="Chris Behm"]Hi,
I've downloaded and installed the desktop application. I am using a pb G4 running OSX 10.4.8, I am also using firefox v2.0.0.3. My problem is: Once I open the app, it brings me to a failed to connect to browser page with this url:

I">http://localhost:7633/zimbra/mail
I am assuming that is because zimbra is not configured with zimbra desktop. My question is, how do I configure the app if I can't open it? If anyone has configured this on a mac, please let me know what you had to do, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,[/QUOTE]
nichos

Faield To Connect

Post by nichos »

I'm having the same problems as leonard, G5, PPC. It hangs at the very end of the install. Anyone with a PPC have any luck?
Chris Behm

Faield To Connect

Post by Chris Behm »

No luck with the PPC. I am really having no luck with the intel either. I keep getting the "this.parent has no properties" error everytime I hit the sync button. Also, no new mail is compiling in the client like it should. In other news, I LOVE the Zimbra Toaster! Very cool feature, I guess it is the simplest things that amuse me. I am going to keep plugging away today and try to get this thing to work on PPC. Please post your updates here if you are able to get that done as well.
Thanks,
8224pepijn

Faield To Connect

Post by 8224pepijn »

[quote user="Chris Behm"]In other news, I LOVE the Zimbra Toaster! Very cool feature, I guess it is the simplest things that amuse me. [/QUOTE]
Agreed, the Z-Toaster works fine on my G5 so far and I am happy to have something like this and the ability to quick read an email and send a reply without having to have a second email client open on my desktop machine at work on which I don't read my email (I keep all email on my Powerbook.) :)
On the subject of plugging along, I must also note that the uninstaller app provided by install4j does not work right. It complains about a missing file "~/zimbra/zdesktop/.install4j/files.log" and as a result is unable to do anything. I have just removed the whole ~/zimbra folder and Desktop aliases and reinstalled again (with no better luck) but clearly there's at least a LaunchAgent installed in ~/Library/LaunchAgents and possibly other items - but because files.log does not seem to get written by the Mac installer, it's tough to know.
Hope at least the feedback by users will help the alpha process.
pepijn.
8224pepijn

Faield To Connect

Post by 8224pepijn »

Looking at ~/zimbra/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.err:
Fatal error: terminating: Failed to loadLibrary(zimbra-native)

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Users/pepijn/zimbra/zdesktop/lib/libzimbra-native.jnilib:
Combined with:
[sugar:~/zimbra/zdesktop] pepijn% file lib/libzimbra-native.jnilib

lib/libzimbra-native.jnilib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
This would close the case on PPC Macs for the time being. Not sure why Zimbra chose to compile this for Intel Macs only, but I guess we'll have to wait for a Universal binary. :(
pepijn.
8224pepijn

Faield To Connect

Post by 8224pepijn »

After giving it a little more thought, I figured I'd see if the library in question (libzimbra-native.jnilib) which in this first alpha seems to have been compiled for the i386 platform could be acquired as a PPC binary by some other method. A quick check on my main Zimbra server running 4.5.3 on RHEL showed that it has a comparable lib called libzimbra-native.so. With that in mind I decided to download the 4.5.3 Mac OS X OS Zimbra installer, and since I didn't feel like going through a whole install just for the one library, I used Pacifist to find libzimbra-native.jnilib -- which indeed showed up, like this:
* Get Pacifist or use the appropriate command line tools if you're familiar and comfortable with them.

* Mount the installer image and use cmd-shift-G to navigate into /Volumes/zcs-4.5.3_GA_733.MACOSX/zcs.mpkg/Contents/.Packages.

* Drag and drop zimbra-core.pkg onto Pacifist. Our libzimbra-native.jnilib lives in opt/zimbra/lib.

* Right-click and choose "Extract to Custom Location..." and point your location to ~/zimbra/zdesktop/lib (or wherever you installed it.)

* It'll want to overwrite the existing one so you can either let it, or rename the existing one to libzimbra-native.jnilib.bup or something similar.
Alternatively, if you already have an existing 4.5.3 install for PPC, you can just grab the library from /opt/zimbra/lib. I only tested with the latest 4.5.3 version so any earlier version of the library may or may not work.
After doing the above I ran "zdesktop start" again, watched zdesktop.err and saw no more errors complaining about libzimbra-native.jnilib. And lo and behold, a double click on the Zimbra Desktop on my OS X desktop now went straight to the initial setup screen. The setup went fine and everything seems to be working OK. :D

The only noticeable difference is that in Safari it defaults to the basic client and in FF it loads the "full" one, albeit stripped down for Zimbra Desktop, I'm sure.
Right now the only errors I see are a bunch of sync-related messages in the error log:
454390 [Timer-Offline-Main] WARN org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase - Going to buffer response body of large or unknown size. Using getResponseBodyAsStream instead is recommended.
HTH someone,
pepijn.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Faield To Connect

Post by jjzhuang »

PPC is not supported in the initial cut. We will add PPC support in a later release.
The way you manage to make it work on PPC is very logical, but of course we'll make it a lot easier once we support it.