Drafts(1) when I have no drafts

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
rchinn

Post by rchinn »

Re-indexing had no effect. I just got an email from this customer saying there is another mailbox with the same issue, as well.
y@w
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by y@w »

So.. did you actually try compacting the folders in Thunderbird? You said you were going to, but never explicitly said you did. I've seen it a hundred times and compacting the folders fixes it every time that I've seen..
rchinn

Post by rchinn »

I didn't actually say I would try that, but I just tested it and it works. You have to choose "Compact folder" in Thunderbird.
Thunderbird has an option to auto-expunge the Inbox, but not for other folders. There is a workaround for this, as posted on Mozilla's knowledge Base which is to set mail.imap.expunge_after_delete in the Thunderbird config editor. This seems like too much to ask of most users, though.
It looks like the other folders don't behave this way. If I delete an unread message from Sent or Inbox using Thunderbird, Zimbra shows the correct unread count. Is this a bug or the desired behavior (and if so, why)?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="rchinn"]Is this a bug or the desired behavior (and if so, why)?[/QUOTE]Yes, it's a bug - in Thunderbird and the use of expunge is a requirement of IMAP (IIRC) it's how they remove messages marked for deletion.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
rchinn

Post by rchinn »

Is there any reason Zimbra can't work around this by ignoring messages in the Drafts folder which are marked for deletion but not actually removed? There is no way it will ever see them or be able to remove them, so why acknowledge the presence of these messages at all?
I suppose the folder could eventually contain many of these messages until the user used his/her mail client to expunge them. It seems like there must be a better solution than telling the user to run an obscure (to most users) command on a folder they hardly think about in order to avoid a seemingly erroneous message count in the web client and Zimbra Desktop.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

In 1482 we no longer sync Drafts folder.