Zimbra Desktop Spell Checker not catching most errors

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
christinesf

Post by christinesf »

I have been using both Desktop and the web version, and while I prefer the Desktop, the spell checker does not work properly (it does work with the web version). I have read the forums and it sounds like a standard English spell check is installed by default, but it is not catching most spelling errors (usually very bad typos). Sometimes it does catch an error (little red dot underline), but it happens for only a small fraction of spelling errors. I always install new updates for Zimbra, but this has had no effect. Also I am having the exact same problem with a new computer and a new install.
Anyone else having this problem? Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

How about some examples of what it is, and is not, catching?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
christinesf

Post by christinesf »

I just typed an email and noticed these errors:
situatin

probabion
Typos for situation (situatin) and probation (probabion). In the email I typed, last names that were not recognized had the little red dot underlines (so spell check was active), but the above words had nothing to flag them as misspellings.
In this forum post, the above words in parentheses have the little red dot underlines.
The email I was writing was a reply to a message I received.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Well, those words show as spelling errors on my version of ZD with the UK English interface. My first guess would be that you've possibly added them to your dictionary at some time.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
christinesf

Post by christinesf »

Which dictionary? And how would I have added them to that dictionary (I am not in the practice of adding words to any dictionary). Is there a way I can troubleshoot (e.g., clear the dictionary you refer to)?
As I mentioned in my original post, I am now on a brand new computer with a brand new OS and new software installation (and still having the same problem I had on my previous computer). Both computers are Macs. My emails were migrated from my old computer to the new.
jmhe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by jmhe »

I tried on Mac with default US English dictionary. Those words were caught just fine.
Do you have this file under your installation directory?
profile/persdict.dat
[quote user="christinesf"]Which dictionary? And how would I have added them to that dictionary (I am not in the practice of adding words to any dictionary). Is there a way I can troubleshoot (e.g., clear the dictionary you refer to)?
As I mentioned in my original post, I am now on a brand new computer with a brand new OS and new software installation (and still having the same problem I had on my previous computer). Both computers are Macs. My emails were migrated from my old computer to the new.[/QUOTE]
jmhe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by jmhe »

also, what's the version of your mac os? what's the locale of it?
i assume you installed zd using US English, right?
christinesf

Post by christinesf »

I just checked, and I do not have the following file under profile:

persdict.dat
I also ran a search on the entire Zimbra DT folder and could not find it. So, I am assuming that is the problem?
bbarrons
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bbarrons »

here is a screen shot of an email I was composing just to prove that spell checker does not work at all in the desktop version. The first mispelled word offers a suggestion but a single other mispelled word offers one. This is installed on a ubuntu server version 8.04 using a gnome desktop. I tried the same thing on my windows xp box with the same results.
Screenshot.jpg
bbarrons
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bbarrons »

update to the last post. the spell checker works as stated by zimbra on the windows xp box. all mispelled words are found without a problem. So, it seems that the spell checker is not working on my ubuntu box as well as my wifes ubuntu box ( version 9.04)