How to access Zimbra Web Client

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
miczell

Post by miczell »

Hi!
Maybe there's something wrong with me, but ... I just can't find the way to log in to Zimbra Web Client in Firefox. Normally when it comes to web mail clients I go to their website (for example Free Webmail and E-Mail by GMX | Sign Up Now! based on AJAX too) and I hit the "sign-in" or "login" button. I couldn't find such one at Zimbra website. Anywhere. And I must say that I'm not complete computer layman :).
I have Zimbra Desktop installed and I'm using it on my desktop, but I want to be able to access my e-mails, calendar and tasks on another machine (it's not convenient to install again Zimbra Desktop on EVERY PC I use).
I asked my friend who works for major corporation how he gets access to his zimbra account (this corporation uses Zimbra Cllaboration Suite), and he said that he just goes to his company's mail server or something like this.... I'm confused.
Please tell me (step by step, if it's possible) what should I do to use Zimbra Web Mail Client.
THX in advance

Regards

Micz
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="miczell"]Please tell me (step by step, if it's possible) what should I do to use Zimbra Web Mail Client.[/QUOTE]Is your email hosted on a server that uses Zimbra? If it is then you would enter http://yourserver.com> and enter your login details - do you have the login details and server address?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
miczell

Post by miczell »

Thanks for quick response.
[quote user="10330phoenix"]Is your email hosted on a server that uses Zimbra? [/QUOTE]
It's rather embarrassing and I feel stupid asking for such things, but... I still don't get it. I don't know is my email hosted on a server, sory :confused:. And I don't know if this server uses Zimbra :confused:. How can I check it? Where to look for information? Maybe I heve omitted something purely simple... but I don't get the 'rules' here. Are they somehow different from the rules of gmx.com, or yahoo.com?
I have downloaded Zimbra Desktop, installed it on my computer and setup it with details of my gmail account to receive e-mails. That's all of my activity.
[quote user="10330phoenix"] do you have the login details and server address?[/QUOTE] Do you mean my login and password? Or maybe some other details? If other, than - where can I find those? Usually they should be somewhere in webmail client prefferences, but here - I don't know where to look...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Who is your Internet Service Provider? What details did you enter in Zimbra Desktop when you put the SMTP server name in it? Where do you actually get your email from when you want to read it?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
miczell

Post by miczell »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Who is your Internet Service Provider?[/QUOTE]

Dialog net - polish operator (Strona główna | Dialog.pl | DIALOG )
[quote user="10330phoenix"]What details did you enter in Zimbra Desktop when you put the SMTP server name in it?[/QUOTE]

I was using my gmail account details for setup and as I remember there was no questions about smtp. I've just chosen the e-mail provider (gmail) from the list and filled in my e-mail address and gmail password. .
[quote user="10330phoenix"]Where do you actually get your email from when you want to read it?[/QUOTE]

I go to http://www.gmail.com, I login there ... and that's it.
I fell weird. Like in Kafka's novel :). Maybe I can't use Zimbra Web Mail Client for some reasons? Please explain me the rules - I really like to UNDERSTAND, not only SOLVE :). Is it like in gmx or yahoo here, or it's different?
regards and thanks for your long lasting patience.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="miczell"]I fell weird. Like in Kafka's novel :). Maybe I can't use Zimbra Web Mail Client for some reasons? Please explain me the rules - I really like to UNDERSTAND, not only SOLVE :). Is it like in gmx or yahoo here, or it's different?[/QUOTE]The simple answer is, you can't use the Zimbra web client to access your email. The main product that Zimbra sells (there's also a free version) is a mail server called Zimbra Collaboration Suite and that has a front-end to the it's mail service that is the Web Client - it's written in Ajax and is used through a browser and it will only be used against a Zimbra mail server. The other free product is the Zimbra Desktop which is a universal mail client that allows you to connect to various services such as gmail, yahoo, Zimbra mail servers and IMAP & POP3 services and is meant to download your mail to a local machine.
I'm sorry you can't use the Web Client but does that answer your question?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
miczell

Post by miczell »

[QUOTE] I'm sorry you can't use the Web Client but does that answer your question?[/QUOTE]
Almost. Just few more questions from other side (but we're close here, I feel it):
What I have to do then, to be able to use Zimbra functionalities (mail client, calendar, tasks) ONLINE in web browser, just the way I use gmail or yahoo? I know it's possible (my friend, mentioned above, confirms, but can't explain).

Do I have to buy some storage on Zimbra's mail servers?

Or maybe find some mail server elsewhere in the net?

Or maybe I have to use my own server machine (that's what I suspect from reading: "ZCS server downloads are intended for administrators and developers.")?

If the last option is right, so end user (like myself) has nothing to look here for (besides let's say Thunderbird's more sophisticated replacement - Zimbra Desktop), because you're focused more on companies, than single users? Am I correct?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You can find a mail service that's using Zimbra (I don't know any free services offhand) but there are some partners that provide a paid-for service to host your email. The most practical options would be to either install the Zimbra Collaboration Suite on a server in your LAN or install it on a hosted service.
If you're interested in using ZImbra then I'd suggest you have a look around the forums to see what Zimbra is about and also read the Documentation to give you some idea of what's involved in installing and administering a mail server. Have a look at some of the videos about Zimbra or try a demo account here: [url=Live demos of Zimbra's open source email and group calendar software[/url]
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
13537storm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 13537storm »

India Times was offering free Zimbra webmail, I don't know if it still does- but check it out:
Indiatimes Register Signup
If it is Zimbra, and is still free, then you can access it as webmail online, and you can sync it to your Zimbra Desktop client as well (you will need to get the sync settings from India Times - although they are usually fairly easy to guess).
nagileon

Post by nagileon »

You need to figure out the link with Dialog. Just call the technical support.