Blackberry integration

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
tpneumat

Blackberry integration

Post by tpneumat »

This product looks exciting. I would be all over it except the people in my company are heavily into blackberry usage. They need to see email in the palm of their hands 1 minute after it was sent. I am wondering if you have had any communications with blackberry about getting a server product to integrate with this. :rolleyes:
I really wish we could use it now. Outlook with exchange is sucking my soul dry. :eek:
TpneumaT
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Blackberry integration

Post by 15539sam »

We are doing our best to resurrect whatever parts of your soul you have lost :p . We'll have blackberry support in the near future :cool: Stay tuned for updates.
17514Scott
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Blackberry integration

Post by 17514Scott »

No doubt this is far from ideal, but I am currently using Wireless IMAP (to the Zimbra server) and a tethered sync for calendar (with Outlook via forwarding my appointments) to support my Blackberry habit. I'm equally hungry for full "over the air" sync.
thatstephen

Blackberry integration

Post by thatstephen »

Indeed Zimbra lookss like a very exciting product.
Do you have a Roadmap at Zimbra for sync implementation, particularly "over the air" sync? Have you decided whether to go the syncML route or not?
15539sam
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Blackberry integration

Post by 15539sam »

The server currently provides robust and efficient support for synchronizing mailboxes. Check out soap.txt for SyncRequest and SyncResponse. A sync based client needs to use these requests with the other existing SOAP API's to get its job done.
The current sync protocol is light enough that you could use it for OTA (over-the-air) sync, but it would be better to encode the requests/responses as WBXML or something to the same extent (no such encoding currently exists in ZCS). For generic OTA sync we would have to add support for sync filters (sync last 7 days worth of appointments, first 1k of todays email, etc) to make the protocol feasible for devices/wireless networks.
We do not export a SyncML interface. When we reviewed the protocol we concluded SyncML was bloated for our immediate needs. One could write a servlet to export SyncML over the internal API's provided by the server (hint hint ;) )
concept

Blackberry integration

Post by concept »

[quote user="17514Scott"]No doubt this is far from ideal, but I am currently using Wireless IMAP (to the Zimbra server) and a tethered sync for calendar (with Outlook via forwarding my appointments) to support my Blackberry habit. I'm equally hungry for full "over the air" sync.[/QUOTE]
Scott,
How are you performing wireless imap? I am forwarding a copy of all may mail to my blackberry.net address, but it is strictly one way and a little awkward. I was not aware that there was another way.
James
ahutt

Blackberry integration

Post by ahutt »

Just saw this link to an opensource project for Linux support on Blackberry.
Would LOVE to be able to sync to Zimbra!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Blackberry integration

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="ahutt"]Just saw this link to an opensource project for Linux support on Blackberry.
Would LOVE to be able to sync to Zimbra![/QUOTE]
Where's the link?
ahutt

Blackberry integration

Post by ahutt »

Sorry,
Copy, then PASTE!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/barry
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Blackberry integration

Post by 14319KevinH »

Very very early but exciting none-the-less.