ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by 10339alee »

There have been 2 issues that have been identified already with ZCB BETA 3 and I am going to be working on these to try to release a patch in the next couple of days. There is a work around for 1 but the other needs to be fixed in code.
Here are the bugs:
Bug 21924 – BB: Installer fails with no error msg if mapi32.dll is in use
If you seem to hang while trying to create the BlackBerryManager or BlackBerryServer profiles, you are probably running into this bug. The work around is to run windowssystem32fixmapi.exe. I'll be making changes to the installer to work around this issue.
Bug 30918 – BB: CalHelper not happy with long email addresses
This bug indicates that users with very long email addresses (longer than 42 characters) will have problems with meeting requests. I will fix this and it will be part of a patch.
--Tony
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="10339alee"]There have been 2 issues that have been identified already with ZCB BETA 3 and I am going to be working on these to try to release a patch in the next couple of days. There is a work around for 1 but the other needs to be fixed in code.
Here are the bugs:
Bug 21924 – BB: Installer fails with no error msg if mapi32.dll is in use
If you seem to hang while trying to create the BlackBerryManager or BlackBerryServer profiles, you are probably running into this bug. The work around is to run windowssystem32fixmapi.exe. I'll be making changes to the installer to work around this issue.
Bug 30918 – BB: CalHelper not happy with long email addresses
This bug indicates that users with very long email addresses (longer than 42 characters) will have problems with meeting requests. I will fix this and it will be part of a patch.
--Tony[/QUOTE]
the first one was the wrong bug. instead of bug 21924, it is this bug:
Bug 30890 – BB: ZCB picks up wrong version of mapi32.dll
these have all been fixed and we are in the process of updating the website, you will also be able to get this build from support.
rduric

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by rduric »

We have migrated 5 users from beta 2 to beta 3. During the migration we had a number of issues:
- enterprise activation took several attempts per user. Every time I remove and add a user in BES it creates a ZDB/IDM pair in the c:Document and SettingsAdministratorLocal settingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook... So now for 5 users I have 39 of these pairs. When I remove a user in BES I think all data for this user should be purged which is not!? I think this is the reason I have so much difficulties registering users with my ZCB.
- users with big mailboxes would receive the Local failure notices during activation
- calendar synchronization incomplete
- when I restart ZCB server, Outlook 2007 would crash and after I press 'Don't send report to Microsoft' a couple of times, it appears as working...
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="rduric"]We have migrated 5 users from beta 2 to beta 3. During the migration we had a number of issues:
- enterprise activation took several attempts per user. Every time I remove and add a user in BES it creates a ZDB/IDM pair in the c:Document and SettingsAdministratorLocal settingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook... So now for 5 users I have 39 of these pairs. When I remove a user in BES I think all data for this user should be purged which is not!? I think this is the reason I have so much difficulties registering users with my ZCB.
- users with big mailboxes would receive the Local failure notices during activation
- calendar synchronization incomplete
- when I restart ZCB server, Outlook 2007 would crash and after I press 'Don't send report to Microsoft' a couple of times, it appears as working...[/QUOTE]
hmmm...let me address each issue and make a couple of comments:
1) zdb/idm files. you are correct but this is not your problem. when you mount a user in ZCB, we create the local cache of the mailbox data and an id mapper file (the two files that you see). when you unmount the user (remove the user), we do not remove those files. it is a precursor to a feature that tries to avoid an expensive initial sync if you readd the user. right now that feature isn't implemented and when you readd the user, you will see more zdb and idm files. not a problem except if you are hurting for disk space.
2) local failures are not always a problem. they will sometimes outline RPC failures which cause us to sync again. it depends on the contents of the local failures. might need to post the contents or open a support case about them. if the local failures point to calendar events that could not be processed, this could be due to issue 3/4 that i address below.
3) calendar syncrhonization incomplete. this could be a number of things and its possible that the local failures could outline why certain calendar events didn't make it to the device. could also be linked to issue 4 (below) since we use OOM for calendar conversion. if outlook crashes, the calendar event will probably not get synced.
4) outlook crashing. do you have outlook running at the same time as the controller or are you talking about outlook crashing within the controller? you should have dump files created at %temp%/zco-cores. please find these dump files and send them to support. this will tell us exactly why outlook is crashing and this could solve your calendar not syncing problem.
how did you build your environment going from BETA 2 to BETA 3? did you start from a fresh OS and install MAPI/CDO, BES, Outlook 2007 and ZCB? Or did you upgrade Outlook to 2007 and then install the new ZCB? If this is what you did, did you choose to "delete previous versions of Outlook" when you were installing Outlook 2007? Did you do something else for the upgrade to BETA 3? The cleanest thing to do is the fresh start at a clean OS install. Internally we have done that for testing but our internal corporate instance of ZCB was a straight up Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 upgrade and then an upgrade of ZCB to BETA 3.
also, what version of the server are you using? did you upgrade to at least 5.0.7?

--Tony
rduric

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by rduric »

Thanks Tony. My ZCS is 5.0.7. I did start from a fresh W2K3 and installed MAPI/CDO 1.2.1, BES 4.1.6, Outlook 2007 and ZCB, exactly per Zimbra installation guide.
I have both Beta 2 and Beta 3 running at the same time. I would remove a user from Beta 2 and add him/her to Beta 3 expecting Beta 3 works better and would give me an opportunity to have 50 BBs on one server!?
When I installed Beta 2 I had only one message store (zcs1.mail.domain.ca) and I created BES Administrator Zimbra account: zcbadmin.
Now, I had 4 message stores and I'd access them via Load Balancer (mail.domain.ca) and I created another BES Administrator account: besadmin.
This configuration (ZCB Beta 2 and Beta 3 at the same time) appears to be working with the previously mentioned issues and errors.
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="rduric"]Thanks Tony. My ZCS is 5.0.7. I did start from a fresh W2K3 and installed MAPI/CDO 1.2.1, BES 4.1.6, Outlook 2007 and ZCB, exactly per Zimbra installation guide.
I have both Beta 2 and Beta 3 running at the same time. I would remove a user from Beta 2 and add him/her to Beta 3 expecting Beta 3 works better and would give me an opportunity to have 50 BBs on one server!?
When I installed Beta 2 I had only one message store (zcs1.mail.domain.ca) and I created BES Administrator Zimbra account: zcbadmin.
Now, I had 4 message stores and I'd access them via Load Balancer (mail.domain.ca) and I created another BES Administrator account: besadmin.
This configuration (ZCB Beta 2 and Beta 3 at the same time) appears to be working with the previously mentioned issues and errors.[/QUOTE]

hmmm....is BES going through the load balancer? i'm assuming that you have it set up as a multi node server (i.e. you can log into one of the boxes via webmail and the request will get routed to the right server). we support the multi node configuration but i'm not 100% about the load balancer situation.
can you give some more detals (probably through a support case is best) about the network configuration and how BES fits into the picture?
rduric

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by rduric »

BES is not going through the load balancer since I had to configure it as zcs1.mail.domain.ca:7071.
I can activate any user in ZCB, regardless of the server they are sitting on. The only inconsistency that I can see is: in the ZCB their Mail Server always is shown the zcs1.mail.domain.ca although they might be configured on zcs2, zcs3 or zcs4.
Basically, we are a university with many thousands of mail accounts, so we configured a multi node mail environment. We have 6 MTA and 4 MDA. Correct, you can log into one of the boxes via webmail and the request will get routed to the right server. The load balancer is sitting in the front of the MTAs and it evenly distributes requests. I have also opened a support case with Zimbra and will see what they have to say. Thanks Tony.
10339alee
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by 10339alee »

[quote user="rduric"]BES is not going through the load balancer since I had to configure it as zcs1.mail.domain.ca:7071.
I can activate any user in ZCB, regardless of the server they are sitting on. The only inconsistency that I can see is: in the ZCB their Mail Server always is shown the zcs1.mail.domain.ca although they might be configured on zcs2, zcs3 or zcs4.
Basically, we are a university with many thousands of mail accounts, so we configured a multi node mail environment. We have 6 MTA and 4 MDA. Correct, you can log into one of the boxes via webmail and the request will get routed to the right server. The load balancer is sitting in the front of the MTAs and it evenly distributes requests. I have also opened a support case with Zimbra and will see what they have to say. Thanks Tony.[/QUOTE]
everything seems reasonable. when you talk to support please have your dump files (from the outlook crash) ready and have logs and local failures ready for the time frame when a device is activated so we can see what problems you are encountering.
rduric

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by rduric »

In the last couple of weeks I had to activate a few blackberry BOLDs. Some users of these devices letting me know that they have a multiple address books and others reported their BOLD would reactivate by itself and on the display they would see "Activation complete".
I noticed, every time I restart the BlackBerry controller service on the BES server this would happen, i.e. reactivation and yet another address book.
Are BOLDs supported on ZCS 5.0.7 and ZCB BETA 3?
Has someone else been experiencing the same? Is there a workaround?
Thanks.
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

ZCB BETA 3 Known Issues

Post by davidfsmith »

Pretty much getting the same although not limited to the bold...