Problems with Zimbra and BES Express

Are you using the Zimbra Connector for BlackBerry? Post your comments and questions here.
bouttola

Post by bouttola »

I have an environment with:

1. MS Active Directory running on WS2000

2. BES Express for Exchange running on WS2003 vesion 5.0.2.29

3. Zimbra Version 5.0.18 (Open Source) on debian
I can not activate the Blackberry, I can create users in BES but do not start properly, I am using a GMV Atlas connector but did not work and was cumbersome to configure.
When I try to pair the phone user gives me an error "BlackBerry Administration Servicehas been unable to to retrieve specific attributes of the device that is connected to the computer. "
I much appreciate any support or idea to keep trying
Sorry if the wording is not good, I'm using google to translate from Spanish (my language) into English.

Luis Boutte

bouttola@gmail.com

luisboutto@hotmail.com
xeon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by xeon »

This is the wrong forum and website for that matter to trouble shoot issues with the GMV Atlas connector. This is for Zimbra BES Connector which can only be used with Network Edition Zimbra.
bouttola

Post by bouttola »

OK .... Zimbra Network Edition only, which I understand is that there is no option for Zimbra open source edition.
I would solve my problem by using Zimbra, not GMV Atlas, but from what I read the verision of zimbra that works is the Network edition (Pay).
If dependira me in this time recommend to my company with more than 80,000 users us to stay with IBM Lotus Notes.
I do not understand his philosophy, but respect!
Thank you very much
xana

Post by xana »

Just thought I'd put this out there. How the hell do you explain to your auditors why there is outlook and BES installed on your DC. The way this method is hacked together is enough for me to turn around and take the Microsoft screw up the *&$ and give in to get exchange. Zimbra was a good product in all aspects but there is no way I'm doing this to my DC.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="xana"]Just thought I'd put this out there. How the hell do you explain to your auditors why there is outlook and BES installed on your DC.[/QUOTE]Where did you get the impression that Outlook or BES had to be 'installed' on your DC (hint: they don't)?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
xana

Post by xana »

Hi,
I know they don't have to be on the PDC but promoting the server that contains the Outlook component and the BES installed via dcpromo means you are making that server a DC. Am I not understanding ?
xeon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by xeon »

[quote user="xana"]Hi,
I know they don't have to be on the PDC but promoting the server that contains the Outlook component and the BES installed via dcpromo means you are making that server a DC. Am I not understanding ?[/QUOTE]

You only need the computer running a Active Directory domain controller if you already do not have a AD infrastructure as its the only way to get around the BES installation requirement. I do not have the domain controller services running on my BES server as I already have two DCs and I was able to authenticate to those instead.
The way Zimbra connects with BES is 'hack,' however its the only way. RIM does not seem to be interested in working with Zimbra. If you look Google is doing basically the same thing when it comes to connecting to BES. In my opinion Zimbra is doing a great job with this connector and it keeps getting better and better with every release. You just have to make sure you stay within versions Zimbra supports and do not try and out do them.
xana

Post by xana »

Ok, I understand the concept. But I am stuck at the BES install where it asks for an exchange server and the bes.admin user created on Zimbra. BES errors stating it cant connect to the exchange server. I checked the server address.

myserver.mydomian.com:7071 is this correct? What I've seen in the forms is that users resolved this by running dcpromo ? How do I get past this stage ?

Thanks in advance.
xeon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by xeon »

[quote user="xana"]Ok, I understand the concept. But I am stuck at the BES install where it asks for an exchange server and the bes.admin user created on Zimbra. BES errors stating it cant connect to the exchange server. I checked the server address.

myserver.mydomian.com:7071 is this correct? What I've seen in the forms is that users resolved this by running dcpromo ? How do I get past this stage ?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

You need Active Directory on your network somewhere to install BES(X) 5.x from my understanding. You can get away with it by running dcpromo on your BES machine to get past the error if you do not already have AD on your network somewhere. I did not run into any issues authenticating to my existing AD network so I will not be able to help you much more if you refuse to do dcpromo. Maybe reach out to support@zimbra.com and they should be able to help you. As for the Exchange server address, I do not think I entered my full Zimbra address. I think I just used mail.company.com and used the BES Admin credentials I created in AD and it continued installation without a problem. I cannot fully remember however.
xana

Post by xana »

Thanks. I'll log a support request with them.