Compatability with Ubuntu 14.04 x64

Need some help getting Zimbra Desktop set up and working?
mwschaef

Post by mwschaef »

Now that ia32-libs has been depreciated, how should Zimbra Desktop be installed on Ubuntu 14.04 x64?
kcarpenter528

Post by kcarpenter528 »

I'm in the same boat. Curious how we can make it work.
port22

Post by port22 »

Hi folks,
I think I got some workaround for ubuntu trusty 14.04:
1) add this to the apt sources:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main restricted universe multiverse
2) apt-get update

3) apt-get install ia32-libs
If you have zdesktop already installed, run:

/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/zdclient -webapp "/home/silvio/zdesktop/zdesktop.webapp"
* correct your paths!

* note that the override option is omitted here. (otherwise it told me: file or folder not found)
Now zdesktop should start. Close it and start it again via Desktop Shortcut or execute (now with override option):

/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/zdclient" -webapp "/home/silvio/zdesktop/zdesktop.webapp" -override "/home/silvio/zdesktop/zdesktop.webapp/override.ini" -profile "/home/silvio/zdesktop/profile
* again correct your paths!
Please note that I am no Pro. Maybe there are only some libs from the ia32 package needed, so the full ia32 package may install more than you need.

Also, as usual, be aware that additional repositories should be maintained from time to time and make sure that you trust them.
At least, I can use it now so that's ok for me.
mwschaef

Post by mwschaef »

Any luck with a viable workaround?
port22

Post by port22 »

what didn't work? got no problems so far...

Afaik the problem is just the missing ia32-libs package in trusty, which you can retrieve from the raring repo mentioned in my post.
edit: where the heck is my post? ^^
so, in this repo you will find the needed ia32-libs package:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main restricted universe multiverse
itmltd

Post by itmltd »

[quote user="1335tonster"]Hi guys, I'm going to do some testing and see if we have a viable workaround.[/QUOTE]
There will be alot of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS users facing this problem soon. Perhaps even more with upcoming Ubuntu derivatives.
So, a viable workaround will be better than using an old repo. Who knows what may break in the future.
So, Tonster, we are all waiting for your workaround. Hope you find it soon.
mwschaef

Post by mwschaef »

itmltd has said it well. We're waiting for a work arouund that does not use depreciated files from old repos. Tonster how about an update?
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

I did this on my 64 bit ubuntu 13.10 install and ZD works well. The ia32-libs was a no go so try the following given the new direction of using multi arch.
# apt-get install libc6:i386 libgcc1:i386 gcc-4.6-base:i386 libstdc++5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libasound:i386

# apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libxtst6:i386
I flailed a bit trying to get this working including... adding an entry in my /etc/ld.so.conf.d area for /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/xulrunner
I don't claim all those i386 libraries are required but it installed enough to get the job done. It wasn't until the end that I got a clue and did the following to see what was missing.
% strace /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/zdclient
I would then install the 32bit libraries that it stopped on. I think we are close to getting this documented better.
Hope this helps
Jim
guen

Post by guen »

Hi Jim,
I tried your solution on my newly installed 14.04, but I get this error : "Couldn't load XPCOM".
I spent two hours (really) trying everything I could find, to no result. Or more exactly, I made progress, step by step, until stumbling on that one.
The error is linked to XULrunner, so I wonder what you mean exactly when you write "including... adding an entry in my /etc/ld.so.conf.d area for /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/xulrunner". Can you tell me what you did? I mean, the exact command(s)... because my Linux skills are limited.
Thank you in advance!
Guénaël
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

You are close. By the way, I am now running this on 14.04 as I recently did an upgrade from 13.10.
In the /etc/ld.so.conf.d directory, I placed the pathname /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/xulrunner into one of the existing files so that those libraries in the xulrnner directory are found. I doubt you need to do this as I was trying everything before I stopped and remembered the strace sommand. Have you tried running the command from the shell will strace in front of it so you can see where it aborts?
# strace /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/zdclient -webapp "/home/YOURUSER/zdesktop/zdesktop.webapp" -override "/home/YOURUSER/zdesktop/zdesktop.webapp/override.ini" -profile "/home/YOURUSER/zdesktop/profile"
When it blows up then add those libraries that are missing. Because my machine is used for development, my guess is you are missing libraries that I had installed for something else.
The other command worth knowing is 'ldd' ... try this on your zimbra binary and it will tell you the missing libraries.. for example:
# ldd /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/prism/zdclient
Hope this helps.
Jim