ZCS 8 - Mobile licensing change?

Take your Zimbra with you!
warmbowski

Post by warmbowski »

Looking at the comparison chart Zimbra - Compare Products
I noticed an innocuous change that may have a big effect on my license costs. In the past, in ZCS 4.5, mobile syncing was an addon cost. In ZCS 5, 6, and 7, it was included with ALL network licenses (Std and Pro). But now it seems that ZCS 8 will only allow pro licensed accounts do mobile sync. I have paid for 3 years for a combination of Std and Pro licenses with an expected level of service. The difference being that only a few people actually want to sync Outlook, but almost everyone wants to sync their phone. Now it seems that I will need to upgrade all of my Std licenses to Pro licenses if I want my Std licensed folks to continue having mobile sync capabilities. Am I correct in assuming this to be the case?
warmbowski

Post by warmbowski »

I called Zimbra sale and was told this is indeed the case. Zimbra Mobile only being included in pro licenses was instituted with ZCS 7.2 (How did I miss that?), which I have not implemented yet.
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS 8 NE & ZCS 8 FOSS

Post by cayaraa »

Thats good to know. Our license is "License type: regular". I'm guessing that means standard??
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="warmbowski"]Looking at the comparison chart Zimbra - Compare Products
I noticed an innocuous change that may have a big effect on my license costs. In the past, in ZCS 4.5, mobile syncing was an addon cost. In ZCS 5, 6, and 7, it was included with ALL network licenses (Std and Pro). But now it seems that ZCS 8 will only allow pro licensed accounts do mobile sync. I have paid for 3 years for a combination of Std and Pro licenses with an expected level of service. The difference being that only a few people actually want to sync Outlook, but almost everyone wants to sync their phone. Now it seems that I will need to upgrade all of my Std licenses to Pro licenses if I want my Std licensed folks to continue having mobile sync capabilities. Am I correct in assuming this to be the case?[/QUOTE]No, that's not correct. You can mix STD & PRO licences on the same server in ZCS 8 - see the [URL=FAQ[/URL]
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
warmbowski

Post by warmbowski »

That is not what I am saying, Bill. I am saying that as of ZCS 7.2 only Pro licenses allow Mobile Syncing. Previous to 7.2, both Pro AND Standard licenses would allow Mobile Sync.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="warmbowski"]That is not what I am saying, Bill. I am saying that as of ZCS 7.2 only Pro licenses allow Mobile Syncing. Previous to 7.2, both Pro AND Standard licenses would allow Mobile Sync.[/QUOTE]Well if that's what you're saying then the answer is yes, you'll have to upgrade them all to Pro
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
warmbowski

Post by warmbowski »

The reason that I brought this up is because I really don't like when vendors make a licensing change and don't make a concerted effort to inform their existing client base of changes. Such as, "Dear valued customer. If you upgrade to version X, please be aware that you will lose functionality due to licensing changes in the new version. Please call sales before you upgrade to find out how much it will cost you to retain functionality after upgrading to the new version.". I don't recall ever being notified by VMWare of this licensing change, and the only way I found out was because I accidentally came across the very small print that says "pro only" on the comparison page. I don't mind licensing changes, but I try to plan ahead to avoid last minute budget surprises. I would just like VMWare to be more communicative about these kinds changes to help me plan. And I let them know that.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="warmbowski"]I would just like VMWare to be more communicative about these kinds changes to help me plan. And I let them know that.[/QUOTE]You should get in touch with your sales contact and tell them.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
warmbowski

Post by warmbowski »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]You should get in touch with your sales contact and tell them.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That's just what I did. Hopefully more customers than just me mention the need for better communicating these license changes, in addition to Zimbra's advertising all of the added functionality with each upgrade.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

That is a big change. I hope it means that ActiveSync will be even better supported (e.g., support for newer versions through ActiveSync 14.1; I think AS 12 support only started around ZCS 7 or 7.2).
That said, while configuring CalDAV/IMAP/CardDAV can be a bit of a hassle, they may be a reasonable substitute for many ActiveSync features. There's also Z-Push and (I forget the name) another 3rd-party tool that provides ActiveSync.