ZCS 8 - Mobile licensing change?

Take your Zimbra with you!
MACscr
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by MACscr »

I definitely agree that its a bit shady of zimbra/vmware to change those licensing terms without properly information clients through at least an email and giving a warning during the upgrade process is a good idea as well if its shown that STD license is being used and mobile settings are enabled and wont be compatible with the new version.
LowPass

Post by LowPass »

[quote user="ewilen"]

That said, while configuring CalDAV/IMAP/CardDAV can be a bit of a hassle, they may be a reasonable substitute for many ActiveSync features. There's also Z-Push and (I forget the name) another 3rd-party tool that provides ActiveSync.[/QUOTE]
This...

Right now the available choices are clientside CalDAV/IMAP/CardDAV or a serverside third party tool. Both Z-Push and ZeXtras Suite (which I think Ewilen was referring) seems valid choices for the latter opzion, while handling this clientside is unviable for professionals who offer a SaaS service or have a lot of clients to manage.
4219splat1

Post by 4219splat1 »

Just wanted to add a 'Me too' comment to this,

We found out he hard way when we upgraded to 7.2 and services died without detailed logging as to why.

Turns out the installer has no issue with the upgrade but some of the NE components do their own licence check and fail silently.

After spending a weeks without mobile syncing and a further month with temporary licence's a solution was met with our reseller and vmware.
I can't say we are completely happy with the solution, but we did gain A&D for a lower price then we would have before the change.
A quick email from vmware or our reseller would have been nice.
gnyce
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gnyce »

Actually, this Zimbra - Compare Products doesn't quite make sense to me. It seems to indicate that "IPhone Email, Contact, Calendar sync" will work with Std. and Pro, whereas the "Windows Mobile and other smartphone Contact, Calendar, Task sync" will now require Pro. So you get a limited activesync with Std. only? B/c I was of the understanding that iphones used the activesync stuff as well (and maybe that is not the case). Not sure what I'm missing here.
4219splat1

Post by 4219splat1 »

Its possible on IOS4+ with IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV, But it far from simple to setup from a user standpoint.
warmbowski

Post by warmbowski »

[quote user="4219splat1"]Its possible on IOS4+ with IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV, But it far from simple to setup from a user standpoint.[/QUOTE]
You can use the iPhone Configuration Utility to distribute IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV account settings for your Zimbra server. It's really quite easy. And once the config profile is set up, you just email the file (via their personal email) to the user who needs a setup.
Now that you have mentioned CalDAV and CardDAV, this isn't such a worry any more. iOS would be the majority of my users. But there is some differences with CalDAV vs ActiveSync in calendar usage. I think mainly having to do with invites. I will have to revisit the issues soon, I guess.
1739miguel
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 1739miguel »

A change like this will make existing customers to start thinking about alternatives and move away from ZCS - We have customers who bought standard licenses to be able to sync their devices - they are very angry about this "Do as I say, or go away - you won't be able to upgrade without loosing what you paid for" movement from Vmware Zimbra - this is bad, very bad IMO
mstroven

Post by mstroven »

ZeXtras accomplishes all of the mobile functions better than the original ZCS NE. It also includes a more comprehensive backup/restore tool, and a nice chat zimlet. After discovering ZeXtras, I went back to the free Community Edition and have been most happy with the results.