FOSS border system for Zimbra - mxHero

Industry info, happenings near you, and new product integrations. Hosting an event? Invite people here.
blazeking
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by blazeking »

[quote user="ccelis5215"]C´mon .....
We the Zimbra users don´t need this kind of stuff.[/QUOTE]
This is not an "alternative". I see it as added value to Zimbra. However maybe this thread should be moved? I'm sure other Zimbra Admins out there would want this information.
[quote user="bcsantos"]The download file is a bzip2 tarball that needs to be extracted. It will create a directory with .vmx and .vmdk files. The content of this directory must be deployed on a VMware Server or ESXi datastore, and added to VM inventory. Did you execute these steps?[/QUOTE]
That worked. I really tried to RTFM on this. You might want to make it a bit more clear that even if you use 7zip in Windows, you still have to extract the uncompressed file. After doing that, and the recommended step for ESX, the VM is working. Thank you!
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

Sorry, but i'am a Ubuntu user.... not a VMware. I'll preciate yours comments a as Zimbra user not only as a VMware.. Thanks for your reply.
bcsantos

Post by bcsantos »

Thanks Blazeking for the note about the docs. The correction has been added!
bcsantos

Post by bcsantos »

For those not wanting to deal with a virtual appliance, we are currently working on an installation package (a la Zimbra). Will announce when ready.
Cheers
dave_kempe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dave_kempe »

Interesting. I would also be interested in making this into a transparent SMTP interceptor using shorewall and a box in bridged mode. Then you could plonk it down upstream and get stats and filtering without any config change at all...
6233maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 6233maxxer »

[quote user="bcsantos"]For those not wanting to deal with a virtual appliance, we are currently working on an installation package (a la Zimbra). Will announce when ready.[/QUOTE]
I'll be very happy to test it out when it gets ready!
Thanks!
ypong
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ypong »

I had a quick test of it, as I was evaluating ways to put in spam filtering before hitting mailarchiva in the Zimbra milter. Tried mailcleaner, ASSP, and someone directed me to mxhero.
Some feedback:

1) you need to have some way to collate/view logs from the internal processes. Otherwise, one of the major problems with dealing with false positives in SPAM, is to try to find out what happened to the message. So short of ssh'ing into the box, there's no real way to find out from the current interface (the reports -> social sort of works, but not quite in enough detail)
2) unable to login as user to a registered domain. I've created and sync'd a zimbra domain+associated users across. But I can't login as one of the users. I tried user/domain=user@domain, as well as just user, but not successful. So I don't know if the user's interface allows them to check, mark and retrieve invalid messages.
3) I know flash is nifty, but it just makes the interface very difficult to navigate!
Not sure I'd use it in production compared to ASSP yet. Thanks for your work though.
5526alexp

Post by 5526alexp »

Thanks Ypong for giving mxHero a spin. A more than thanks for this great feedback. Here are my responses inline to your questions...
Some feedback:

1) you need to have some way to collate/view logs from the internal processes. Otherwise, one of the major problems with dealing with false positives in SPAM, is to try to find out what happened to the message. So short of ssh'ing into the box, there's no real way to find out from the current interface (the reports -> social sort of works, but not quite in enough detail)
Absolutely, this is already being added. There will be a 'show headers' button on the details dialogue.
2) unable to login as user to a registered domain. I've created and sync'd a zimbra domain+associated users across. But I can't login as one of the users. I tried user/domain=user@domain, as well as just user, but not successful. So I don't know if the user's interface allows them to check, mark and retrieve invalid messages.
Not sure I understand. But I assume you mean domain level log on. If that is the case you need to enable this. There is a little video tutorial for this:
Adding a domain (other tutorial videos [URL=here[/URL is a check box for "domain specific administrator". Once that is set then the domain level admin logs in with the domain and password. Ex. domain.com / pass
3) I know flash is nifty, but it just makes the interface very difficult to navigate!
Yes, agreed. In our we mention the choice of Flash and note that an HTML 5 in the future.
Not sure I'd use it in production compared to ASSP yet. Thanks for your work though.
Thank you for checking mxHero out. If you can, follow us on [URL=twitter
, we will have a key release coming soon. It will address some of your points among others.
Again, sincere thanks for the tests and comments. We know it takes time to do so.

Alex
5526alexp

Post by 5526alexp »

[quote user="6233maxxer"]I'll be very happy to test it out when it gets ready!
Thanks![/QUOTE]
Hello,
We have uploaded to SourceForge a new release (1.1.0.RC1) with a beta installer.
We have tried to make it compatible with Zimbra. In theory it should detect your Zimbra installation and make the appropriate configuration changes to postfix.
See release post here.
We should have a Virtual Appliance up in the next couple days.
Cheers
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Can it still be used as a "dedicated" appliance (not setup on the same VM/server than ZCS) ?