will this work in esxi 4.1?

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
carboncow

Post by carboncow »

I'm running a text environment and use VMWare esxi. When I try to install the appliance via the OVA I'm told the system is only a 32bit and 64bit is required...but ESXI 4.1 is clearly a 64bit hosting system!
Zimbra looks promising but a challenge equal to installing Exchange and thus not to fun for non-super-nerds!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="carboncow"]I'm running a text environment and use VMWare esxi. When I try to install the appliance via the OVA I'm told the system is only a 32bit and 64bit is required...but ESXI 4.1 is clearly a 64bit hosting system![/QUOTE]Does your ESXi actually have any 64bit guests running? Does your hardware actually support the VM extensions required by ESXi to run 64bit guests?
[quote user="carboncow"]Zimbra looks promising but a challenge equal to installing Exchange and thus not to fun for non-super-nerds![/QUOTE]It's no challenge whatsoever on the correct hardware. ;) If your server only supports 32 bit guests then why don't you install CentOS in a VM and install the 322bit version of Zimbra?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
carboncow

Post by carboncow »

Yes I have other guest 64bits running.
I have no clue what VMware extensions are...so I'm going to duck out on this project. I thought appliances wee designed to load and go!
1542brian
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 1542brian »

You won't be able to do this if you are running ESXi in a nested 64bit scenario as the virtualization parameters don't get passed through to the guest OS.
If this isn't the case post details on your ESXi deployment and we should be able to point you to the VMware docs needed to resolve the issue.
4414LHammonds
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 4414LHammonds »

[quote user="carboncow"]I'm running a text environment and use VMWare esxi. When I try to install the appliance via the OVA I'm told the system is only a 32bit and 64bit is required...but ESXI 4.1 is clearly a 64bit hosting system!
Zimbra looks promising but a challenge equal to installing Exchange and thus not to fun for non-super-nerds![/QUOTE]

I was able to manually install the 64-bit version on an ESXi 4.1 server without a problem. In fact, I started my initial test using Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows 7 PC and had all kinds of random problems installing the operating system, configuring it and installing Zimbra. After about a dozen failed attempts, I switched over to installing it on ESXi and I actually had a VERY smooth time installing the system. ;)
I fully documented my exploits in this thread. It covers the installation of Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS, 64-bit, the installation of Zimbra 7.1.2 OSE, 64-bit and the upgrade from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3.
LHammonds