Network edition support over KVM

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

Hi,
I'd like to confirm that Zimbra is giving support to Network edition instalations on KVM (specially Proxmox). I'm about to buy the license but I need to run it in a virtualized environment with KVM.

Regards,
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="jplorier"]I'd like to confirm that Zimbra is giving support to Network edition instalations on KVM (specially Proxmox).[/QUOTE]The answer to that is no, it's not supported. You can always confirm the supported platforms in the product documentation or with Zimbra Support, as a trial user you should have access to support.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]The answer to that is no, it's not supported. You can always confirm the supported platforms in the product documentation or with Zimbra Support, as a trial user you should have access to support.[/QUOTE]
Hi phoenix,
As far as I could find prior to posting in the forum, it only says about OS support, not virtualization plataform. Anyway, the link you provided is back to 2011-07-06 for zimbra , are there no plans at all to support KVM?.

As you know Red Hat themselves moved from Xen to KVM and it has evolved very raplidly in the last two years, so one year in a very long time in this matters.

Regards,
Yaroze

Post by Yaroze »

Been running 2x Zimbra installs (Ubuntu 10.04) on Proxmox in kvm for over a year now, runs fine, why wouldnt it? To the software its just like any "real" machine.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="jplorier"]Anyway, the link you provided is back to 2011-07-06 for zimbra , are there no plans at all to support KVM?.[/QUOTE]As far as I know that bug report is still open because the problem with jython is not resolved, I will add however that I'm (obviously) not a developer and you could always verify that with support.
[quote user="Yaroze"]Been running 2x Zimbra installs (Ubuntu 10.04) on Proxmox in kvm for over a year now, runs fine, why wouldnt it? To the software its just like any "real" machine.[/QUOTE]It doesn't matter whether it works or not, it is an unsupported platform for an NE customer as Zimbra has not been verified to work in that environment and using it will invalidate their support for the product.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

HI guys,
Thanks for the help, but this is not leading me anywhere useful. I can't get zimbra support as I haven't yet brought the zimbra ne and that's why I'm posting in the forums, not in a support ticket.

Yaroze: thanks for your info, I'm quite sure it may work just fine, the thing is that I pay for a supported version and then I don't get support because it's not in a supported virtual environment, then why paying at first?. In the other hand, I do need features in the ne edition, so this is a chicken and egg problem.

Phoenix: As you are from Zimbra, can you get any extra info on this matter. It's a really big deal to us as our budget can't cover both Zimbra and VMWare virtualization (I'm talking vsphere)

Regards
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="jplorier"]Thanks for the help, but this is not leading me anywhere useful.[/QUOTE]It is, KVM is not a supported platform (it never has been) - that's a definitive answer. If you want the 'official' answer the see my reply to your next comment.
[quote user="jplorier"]I can't get zimbra support as I haven't yet brought the zimbra ne and that's why I'm posting in the forums, not in a support ticket.[/QUOTE]The Network Edition trial includes support from Zimbra, are you running the trial version? If you are then raise a support ticket.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]It is, KVM is not a supported platform (it never has been) - that's a definitive answer. If you want the 'official' answer the see my reply to your next comment.
The Network Edition trial includes support from Zimbra, are you running the trial version? If you are then raise a support ticket.[/QUOTE]
Great Bill, that's what I needed to know. I will get another trial (as mine is overtime) and rise the support ticket.

Regards,
seaq

Post by seaq »

[quote user="jplorier"]Great Bill, that's what I needed to know. I will get another trial (as mine is overtime) and rise the support ticket.

Regards,[/QUOTE]
It seems the issue reported in Bug #43696
Bug 43696 – KVM Support
it's already solved.
from the thread where the issue is discussed:
jython-users - KVM incompatibility with jython?
"

It appears this is because they mounted /tmp noexec, so it is not a KVM

issue at all.
Thanks very much!
--Quanah
"
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

Now that Zimbra is no longer owned by VMWare, I think I may be supported others virtualization :-) (by the way, I won't spend one ticket in this question, that's why I post again in the forum).

Is there a support matrix as in other software so I can just check that?

Regards,