Network edition support over KVM

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="jplorier"]Now that Zimbra is no longer owned by VMWare, I think I may be supported others virtualization :-)[/QUOTE]The ownership of Zimbra had nothing to do with which platforms were supported for virtualization.
[quote user="jplorier"](by the way, I won't spend one ticket in this question, that's why I post again in the forum).[/QUOTE]The answer is still the same as I gave earlier.
[quote user="jplorier"]Is there a support matrix as in other software so I can just check that?[/QUOTE]It's in the same place as always - in bugzilla (as mentioned all over the forums)..
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

Thanks Bill for the reply, but just one thing, do you really beleave that zimbra only been supported on vmware has nothing to do with corporative interests? Xen, KVM and even HiperV are spread virtualization plataforms, so there's no way it has nothing to do. Or do you beleve that Oracle only supporting Indestructible linux virtualization has nothing to do with Oracle been the owner of that Red Hat tuned distro?

Anyway, I found in system requirements the info also and I think is a better place to look for it than bugzilla.

Regards,
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="jplorier"]Thanks Bill for the reply, but just one thing, do you really beleave that zimbra only been supported on vmware has nothing to do with corporative interests?[/QUOTE]Yes, I do believe that and it's a fact not just my opinion. Xen is a supported platform and support for VMware had been available for ZCS long before VMWare purchased the company, the only difference was certain VMWare features, such as HA, were supported. ZCS is VM agnostic and only technical reasons would prevent it's support of a particular virtual environment - that would be the reason XEN is fairly new as a supported platform.
[quote user="jplorier"] Xen, KVM and even HiperV are spread virtualization plataforms, so there's no way it has nothing to do. Or do you beleve that Oracle only supporting Indestructible linux virtualization has nothing to do with Oracle been the owner of that Red Hat tuned distro?[/QUOTE]You shouldn't be so conspiratorial. ;) Oracle has it's own agenda with it's own products, look at it's treatment of the (once) open source MySQL database - not very edifying and (possibly) one of the reason Zimbra and lots of high-profile companies have switched to MariaDB - plus it's improvements over MySQL..
[quote user="jplorier"]Anyway, I found in system requirements the info also and I think is a better place to look for it than bugzilla.[/QUOTE]Not really, bugzilla will show you if there's any support for particular environments or if there's any intention (or feature requests) to support a specific environment - if you want that support then check bugzilla for KVM support and file an RFE if there isn't one. I have a recollection that there might be a technical problem with KVM (proxmox) that causes problems for ZCS but in any case, you can always run ZCS in any environment you choose but why you'd run it on an unsupported platform escapes me.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

Thanks again for the fast reply.

I'll take a look at bugzilla and see what's there about kvm, proxmox is just one of the virtualization platfomorms using kvm as a backend, so maybe it can be supported in other platforms, like RHEV.

I don't think there are conspirations out there on this matter, just that companies persue money and sometimes they tend to jail people in their line of products to get more proffit.

Xen is not mentioned in system requirements, so not only you may be right about checking bugzilla, but also, that info needs to be updated in docs.

I have no intentions to waste the investment we made buying Zimbra NE by using an unsupported VPlatform, and that's all this is about. I'll see if payd licences have double vote in RFEs :-)

Regards,
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

FWIW on the latest Zimbra 8.5 "Always On" webinar I thought I heard one of the presenters say that VMware, XenServer and KVM are supported virtualization platforms.
Best would be to open a support ticket with Zimbra to get clarification.
There is lots of Zimbra documentation that at this writing is just wrong and/or missing; there are a number of bugs open (I have one slotted for 7.2.7/8.0.7 regarding SpamAssassin customization documentation) to fix documentation.
It seems that Bugzilla items with a support ticket move though the chain of command faster than standalone bugzilla reports.
Hope that helps,

Mark
15337Raunaq
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 15337Raunaq »

KVM

Bug 43696 ? KVM Support

Xen Support

Bug 35533 ? Xen Officially Supported by Zimbra

And ofcourse VMware :-)
I hope this gives some clarity
And by the way we are even planning to support openvz

Bug 84749 ? RFE: Official Openvz support
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

Hi Mark,
Thanks a lot for the comment. I pointed in the right direction.

Regards,
jplorier

Post by jplorier »

Hi Raunaq,
GREAT, this is just what I was looking for!! Huge help.

Regards,