Installing snmpd to allow SolarWinds Orion to monitor Zimbra Linux servers?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mhlevy
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU12.64 U

Post by mhlevy »

My company recently began using Solarwinds Orion for network and server management, and I'd like to be able to keep an eye on the Zimbra servers using snmp.  The problem is that I never actually installed snmpd during the initial Ubuntu 12.04 LTS servers, though I did install Zimbra snmp.

From my reading, it appears that there are a very limited number of snmp traps that are generated by Zimbra's snmp, like services starting and stopping.

I would really like to be able to monitor and track the Linux system parameters as well (actually even more than services starting and stopping.)

Is it possible to install the Ubuntu snmpd package, without screwing up the installed Zimbra snmp  The currently installed snmp related packages are:

# aptitude search snmp | grep "^i"
i A libsnmp-base                    - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i A libsnmp15                       - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i   snmp                            - SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol)
i   snmp-mibs-downloader            - Install and manage Management Information
i   zimbra-snmp                     - Best email money can buy                

Looking for any processes with either swatch or snmp in them, here are the results:

# ps -ef | grep 'snmp|swatch'
zimbra   29431     1  0 06:42 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/libexec/swatch --config-file=/opt/zimbra/conf/swatchrc --use-cpan-file-tail --script-dir=/opt/zimbra/data/tmp --tail-file /var/log/zimbra.log
zimbra   29444 29431  0 06:42 ?        00:00:32 /usr/bin/perl /opt/zimbra/data/tmp/.swatch_script.29431
root     34080   500  0 13:32 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto snmp|swatch
zimbra   37581 37576  0 Mar04 ?        00:01:22 /usr/bin/perl -T /opt/zimbra/amavisd/sbin/amavis-services snmp-responder

Am I correct that it will not be possible to monitor the Linux system itself without first installing the Ubuntu snmpd package?  Would it even be safe to install the Ubuntu snmpd package after having installed zimbra's snmp?

I'm aware of  "Monitoring Zimbra Collaboration with Nagios" but I'd rather not create an entirely new management architecture, Solarwinds is more than painful enough!  :-)

Thanks in afvance,

Mark

Oops, I forgot to upfate my profile:  Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 NETWORK edition, Patch 8.6.0_P6

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

There is no problem installing the operating system version of SNMPD, it does not have any conflicts with the Zimbra version.
BTW, if you want an easy method of installing Nagios then take a look at the Open Monitoring Distribution and it uses Check_MK
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mhlevy
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU12.64 U

Post by mhlevy »

Thank you very much!