Can i access older data from mailserver.log and how?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
crnjaz

Can i access older data from mailserver.log and how?

Post by crnjaz »

Hi, i run zimbra 7.1.4, and, i need to get some data from mydomain.org/log/mailserver.log for 15th of this month, but the log starts from 17th.
Is there a way to find that data?
What logs do i need to check?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Can i access older data from mailserver.log and how?

Post by phoenix »

The logs are rolled every night and only kept for a short period, you either need to change their retention period or (my preferred choice) send the data to a central syslog server and keep it for as long as you require. If the date you require is not in the log directory then I'm afraid it's gone.

FWIW, for reasons of security you really should get off that old version of ZCS and upgrade the the most current release.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
crnjaz

Post by crnjaz »

I figured that some of the logs are kept for few weeks, and other for longer, but I wasnt able to determine what logs from /opt/zimbra/log are in the one that can be accessed via the url from the title post.
Also, how can i change the retention period?

And yeah, i plan to upgrade it, but im on this job for a few months now, and im the only one that maintains the mail server (and there is stuff that the management wants to be done first before the upgrade), + its my first experience with zimbra, so im still learning it.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I'm not really sure what you mean by ".....can be accessed via the url from the title post.", none of the log files are accessible via a url and the log files are only available via the command line unless they're sent to a central server.

I'll say this again, there are security issues with older versions of ZCS and you should upgrade as a matter of urgency. I'd suggest to your management that's the most important thing you can do at this point in time.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
crnjaz

Post by crnjaz »

we can (somehow) access a log file from mydomain.com/log/mailserver.log . I've found that its the zimbra log file from /var/logs/zimbra-log. And it keeps around of month old backups. Can i change the retention period for that one?

Yeah, i keep telling them that we need to upgrade, but obviously we have far more important things to work on, like resizing rows and columns in excel tables. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I want to upgrade it, i just cant get a green light (dont get me going about that, i work in a shithole).