SSL Certificate Deployment Issue on Zimbra 8.7

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
drzoidberg

SSL Certificate Deployment Issue on Zimbra 8.7

Post by drzoidberg »

Hi all,

I have an issue with deployment of SSL certificate. Anyone same problem? When I use GUI deployment, its says some error about RemoteManager port 22

so I followed Single-Node Commercial Certificate recommended steps from https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Administra ... cate_Tools

I have three files, GeoTrust Global CA (ROOT CA) .pem which renamed into .crt; IntermediateCA.crt and ServerCert.crt
RootCA and Intermediate is merged into one Chain file.

Console output:

Verification is OK

Code: Select all

[zimbra@mail ~]$ /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcertmgr verifycrt comm /opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.key /tmp/commercial.crt /tmp/ca_chain.crt
** Verifying '/tmp/commercial.crt' against '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.key'
Certificate '/tmp/commercial.crt' and private key '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.key' match.
** Verifying '/tmp/commercial.crt' against '/tmp/ca_chain.crt'
Valid certificate chain: /tmp/commercial.crt: OK

Issue:

[zimbra@mail ~]$ /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcertmgr deploycrt comm /tmp/commercial.crt /tmp/ca_chain.crt
** Fixing newlines in '/tmp/commercial.crt'
Can't rename /tmp/commercial.crt to /tmp/commercial.crt.bak: Operation not permitted, skipping file at /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcertmgr line 1225.
** Verifying '/tmp/commercial.crt' against '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.key'
Certificate '/tmp/commercial.crt' and private key '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.key' match.
** Verifying '/tmp/commercial.crt' against '/tmp/ca_chain.crt'
Valid certificate chain: /tmp/commercial.crt: OK
** Copying '/tmp/commercial.crt' to '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.crt'
** Copying '/tmp/ca_chain.crt' to '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial_ca.crt'
** Appending ca chain '/tmp/ca_chain.crt' to '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.crt'
** Importing cert '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial_ca.crt' as 'zcs-user-commercial_ca' into cacerts '/opt/zimbra/common/lib/jvm/java/jre/lib/security/cacerts'
** NOTE: restart mailboxd to use the imported certificate.
** Saving config key 'zimbraSSLCertificate' via zmprov modifyServer mail.domain.tld...ok
** Saving config key 'zimbraSSLPrivateKey' via zmprov modifyServer mail.domain.tld...ok
** Installing ldap certificate '/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.crt' and key '/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.key'
** Copying '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.crt' to '/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.crt'
** Copying '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/commercial/commercial.key' to '/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.key'
** Creating file '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/jetty.pkcs12'
ERROR: openssl pkcs12 export to '/opt/zimbra/ssl/zimbra/jetty.pkcs12' failed(1):
unable to load certificates
140604730992320:error:0906D066:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:bad end line:pem_lib.c:809:
Something with Jetty (what is it?) or PEM bad end of file, I check it many times and end files are OK.
I also check empty lines or merged headings, and It is OK

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
xxxx
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
xxxx
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Thank you very much for any help,
Dave
Veidit

Re: SSL Certificate Deployment Issue on Zimbra 8.7

Post by Veidit »

Have you tried to do it as root?
drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg »

Veidit wrote:Have you tried to do it as root?

[root@mail tmp]# /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcertmgr deploycrt comm /tmp/commercial.crt /tmp/ca_chain.crt
zmcertmgr: ERROR: no longer runs as root!
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Looks like the zimbra user account doesn't have sufficient permissions over the crt files in /tmp.

You may want, as the root user, and before trying again to deploy the certs, running:

chown zimbra.zimbra /tmp/*.crt
chmod 666 /tmp/*.crt
Then try deploying again.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Mark
drzoidberg

Post by drzoidberg »

L. Mark Stone wrote:Looks like the zimbra user account doesn't have sufficient permissions over the crt files in /tmp.

chmod 666 /tmp/*.crt
Solved that! Amazing!
What a newbie mistake..., thank you very much for help.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

drzoidberg wrote:
L. Mark Stone wrote:Looks like the zimbra user account doesn't have sufficient permissions over the crt files in /tmp.

chmod 666 /tmp/*.crt
Solved that! Amazing!
What a newbie mistake..., thank you very much for help.
Lucky guess, but glad it worked for you!

:roll:

All the best,
Mark
dmcentire-zimbra

Post by dmcentire-zimbra »

Hi!

I registered on this site just to add this one post.

I ran into this same error with jetty12 and the chown/chmod commands didn't help my situation. Turns out I found another post on a zimbra forum that stated at this is a common error on newer systems when the certificate file doesn't have a trailing blank line.

So literally, edit the <certificate.crt> and add a <CR> after the -----END CERTIFICATE----- line.

This fixed it for me and I was able to install the new ssl cert.

Dennis