State of the Git

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

State of the Git

Post by msquadrat »

Hi folks,

I wondered about the current and future state of the public Git and availability of the source code.

Right now I get the following on a git pull:

Code: Select all

User 'public' not authorized for 'git-upload-pack' on '~_0xS_repos_0xS_zimbra-foss'.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
On some bugs I saw pull requests on the Synacor Bitbucket installation under stash.corp.synacor.com. So I guess Perforce/Git Fusion will be replaced but what does this mean for the public Git repos?

Cheers,
Malte
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: State of the Git

Post by msquadrat »

The Git access via SSH (I didn't try HTTP since I don't want to re-download the whole repo) is broken for at least a month now. Any chance of getting this fixed?
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Gren Elliot »

Just trying a git clone and it seems to be working fine for me (without any VPNs, so should be good for non-Zimbra folk). Worth re-visiting https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Building_Zimbra_using_Git and confirming that everything is good for you there?

This is the relevant entry in my .ssh/config (differs slightly from the wiki article as I used slightly different names for the key files and a different name for the entry in this file):

Host zimbra-git-old
  User public
  Hostname git.zimbra.com
  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa_zimbra_git
  IdentitiesOnly yes
  Port 1067

This is the command I'm using:

git clone git@zimbra-git-old:zimbra-foss

host git.zimbra.com
git.zimbra.com has address 69.168.101.195
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

It just stopped working from one day to another. My config looks still fine (see below) and the SSH config is also used (which I deduct from the user public in the error message).

Reading https://git-scm.com/docs/git-upload-pack and https://git-scm.com/docs/git-fetch-pack I think this command is used only if you do a fetch/pull and not a clone. Does this also still work for you?

My config looks more or less like yours:

[stretz:~/Source/Zimbra/zimbra-foss] judaspriest-foss+* 0s ± git fetch
User 'public' not authorized for 'git-upload-pack' on '~_0xS_repos_0xS_zimbra-foss'.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
[stretz:~/Source/Zimbra/zimbra-foss] judaspriest-foss+* 4s 128 ± git remote -v
origin  git@git.zimbra.com:~/repos/zimbra-foss (fetch)
origin  git@git.zimbra.com:~/repos/zimbra-foss (push)
[stretz:~/Source/Zimbra/zimbra-foss] judaspriest-foss+* 0s ± sed -ne '/Host git.zimbra.com/,/^$/p' ~/.ssh/config 
Host git.zimbra.com
        User public
        IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa_zimbra
        IdentitiesOnly yes
        Port 1067

[stretz:~/Source/Zimbra/zimbra-foss] judaspriest-foss+* 0s ± host git.zimbra.com
git.zimbra.com has address 69.168.101.195
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

Hmmm... I think the Repo URL is actually different in your case. I have:

origin  git@git.zimbra.com:~/repos/zimbra-foss (fetch)
You cloned from git@git.zimbra.com:~/zimbra-foss. I'll try to change the URL to see if that helps.
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

Ok, that was it. Thanks. I don't exactly know why I had that other URL configured, maybe something from the early days of the Git Repo.

[stretz:~/Source/Zimbra/zimbra-foss] judaspriest-foss+* 0s ± git remote set-url origin git@git.zimbra.com:zimbra-foss                                           
[stretz:~/Source/Zimbra/zimbra-foss] judaspriest-foss+* 0s ± git remote -v
origin  git@git.zimbra.com:zimbra-foss (fetch)                                                                                                                                    
origin  git@git.zimbra.com:zimbra-foss (push)                                                                                                                                     
[stretz:~/Source/Zimbra/zimbra-foss] judaspriest-foss+* 0s ± git pull --ff-only
remote: Counting objects: 1250, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (422/422), done.
remote: Total 1250 (delta 689), reused 1077 (delta 541)
Receiving objects: 100% (1250/1250), 211.33 KiB | 151.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (689/689), completed with 100 local objects.
From git.zimbra.com:zimbra-foss
   71017a1..8b77094  judaspriest-foss -> origin/judaspriest-foss
   0a21f59..a5d9f76  judaspriest-860-foss -> origin/judaspriest-860-foss
   12eb0f6..8856517  judaspriest-861-foss -> origin/judaspriest-861-foss
   f6b99d5..5c6b4fa  main-foss  -> origin/main-foss
Updating 71017a1..8b77094
Fast-forward
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

Hi Gren et al,

do you have some infos on this part of my original post?
msquadrat wrote: On some bugs I saw pull requests on the Synacor Bitbucket installation under stash.corp.synacor.com. So I guess Perforce/Git Fusion will be replaced but what does this mean for the public Git repos?
There is a lot of development happening behind closed doors (on internal Synacor systems) and I wonder what the plan for that is. One concrete example is that I'm looking for the fix for [bug]106162[/bug] and that was first only available in your internal Bitbucket and recently got pushed to the judaspriest-871 branch which isn't available via Git Fusion yet.
jeastman
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by jeastman »

Zimbra is in the process of transitioning between source code repositories at the moment. The current Perforce/Git setup has been less than ideal and so we are working on moving off of that setup. As part of the transition, we are also working to reorganize the single large repository into a series of smaller, component focused repositories. This process will take a bit of time and we want to make sure everything works as expected once complete. We are using internally hosted git repositories as a staging area before making all of the repositories available via GitHub.

Breaking the single repository up has been the largest area of work and, as you might imagine, has a significant impact on the build process. I have asked the team to hold back publishing the repositories until the build system has been updated to work with the new repository layout and git in general. We are working through these issues and expect to have code making its way to GitHub in the next few weeks.

Once completed, the entire Zimbra source code will be available via a set of repositories on GitHub. This should make it much easier to work with the code base and provide some much needed separation of the code components. I know it is a bit inconvenient with respect to work that is occurring right now, but we want to make sure things are done right.

This is a project I have been wanting the team to undertake for well over a year now, and we are finally close to the end. The result will be a much more accessible code base as well as the introduction of a 'sane' branching strategy. Stay tuned for additional updates and I appreciate your patience as we begin rolling the new repositories out.

Thank you,
--
John Eastman
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

Hi John,

thanks for the quick reply and the explanation. I'm looking forward to have the code available on GitHub. I hope the history will be preserved since it is an invaluable trove of information when debugging stuff.

It would have been great if there had been an info on the planned change though, maybe a blog post or a mail to the Zeta Alliance Developer list. (Or did I miss something?) Just seeing the results which looked like development was moved to your internal infrastructure was a bit unsettling.
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

Hi again,

is there currently some work going on with the Perforce/Git Repo? I haven't seen any commits on the repo for a few days (weeks?) now. And I can't find a judaspriest-871-foss branch.

Cheers,
Malte