Clean-install manifest for ZImbra 8.7.1 on Ubuntun 16LTS?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
eval

Clean-install manifest for ZImbra 8.7.1 on Ubuntun 16LTS?

Post by eval »

There have been quite a few challenges with getting 8.7.1 installed correctly / completely , especially on systems upgraded to Ubuntu 16LTS.

It's just not clear what should be there, or still left over , from prior installs.

Drips & drabs of information are spread through some good user posts.

Does anyone know of a complete file & folder install manifest for a clean-install of Zimbra 8.7.1 on a clean Ubu 16LTS installation?

In other words, everything that SHOULD be there, so we can fill in any blanks, and diff what should NOT be and get rid of it?
fbzimblet
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Clean-install manifest for ZImbra 8.7.1 on Ubuntun 16LTS?

Post by fbzimblet »

why not creating a VM (staging server) with exact OS and zimbra version and test upgrading on that VM instead?
eval

Post by eval »

because I'm looking for documentation, not trial-n-error guesswork
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

I have a clean install at home on a test server that I was helping someone with another problem recently with upgrades. So I'll let you know what the folder list is from the /opt/zimbra directory. Will try and add tonight if I remember to do it when I get home.
eval

Post by eval »

@ianw1974

Thanks.

It's a bit more than that ... it's also the Zimbra-repo-installed alternative packages, diff'd to a 'clean' Zimbra install.

I'm trying to unravel what ZImbra installs and expects to have installed.

The lack of docs, or any sort of official comment, on this upgrade path is a head-scratcher.

Until I understand what's going on, I'm peeling off functionality -- 2FA, vCard, DNS, all the Postscreen protections -- and putting them on a front-end host where I can control them, both for config and init, in a well-understood way. Atm I'm using ZImbra mostly as just an IMAP back end.

I do not want this two-env solution, and hope to get back to Z-only, to the extent that I can.
ianw1974
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by ianw1974 »

It's highly unlikely that any documentation is going to have such information. Installation stuff yes, upgrade stuff yes, but not directory structures of how it should look versus previous upgraded versions with leftovers in. Never seen any documentation from anyone with such info.

The only way you'd get that info is to compare your existing system with a clean system. You can't diff that, because each install will be different. Remember you have your indexes and mailbox store also under the /opt/zimbra directory, and that will completely vary from every single install.

However, for completeness, this is how a 8.7.1 clean install directory structure looks:

Code: Select all

root@zimbra:/opt/zimbra# ls
backup  conf          contrib  docs              index                               lib      logger    ssl      zimlets-deployed
bin     config.26495  data     extensions-extra  jetty                               libexec  mailboxd  store    zmstat
common  config.9426   db       fbqueue           jetty-distribution-9.3.5.v20151012  log      redolog   zimlets
Here is how a clean install index and store looks:

root@zimbra:/opt/zimbra# ls index/
root@zimbra:/opt/zimbra# ls store/
0  incoming
root@zimbra:/opt/zimbra# ls index/0/
1  2
root@zimbra:/opt/zimbra# 
root@zimbra:/opt/zimbra# ls store/0/
and here is how it looks on my upgraded production system:

root@mail:/opt/zimbra# ls
backup
bin
common
conf
config.7544
config.9112
contrib
data
db
docs
extensions-extra
fbqueue
httpd
httpd-2.4.10
index
jdk1.6.0_33
jetty
jetty-distribution-9.1.5.v20140505
jetty-distribution-9.3.5.v20151012
lib
libexec
log
logger
mailboxd
mta
mysql-standard-5.1.63-pc-linux-gnu-i686-glibc23
net-snmp
net-snmp-5.7.2.1
postfix
postfix-2.11.1.2z
redolog
snmp
ssl
store
zimbramon
zimlets
zimlets-deployed
zimlets-experimental
zimlets-extra
zmstat
and the index and store on production server:

root@mail:/opt/zimbra# ls index/0/
1  10  13  19  2  20  21  22  24  25  27  29  30  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  4  42  43  44  5  8  9
root@mail:/opt/zimbra# ls store/0/
1  10  13  19  2  20  21  25  29  30  33  35  37  38  39  4  5  8  9
as you can see, there is absolutely no way you can diff an installation, clean or in use. Hence why you'll never find it in the documentation.