Outlook 2007 not able to sync with zimbra server

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
swimmer

Outlook 2007 not able to sync with zimbra server

Post by swimmer »

I encountered a rather strange problem.

Installing the ZCS connector for outlook works. However, when I enter the sever and my account details, the initial sync fails.
Even stranger, when I try to change my account name/password the connector says that it can't authenticate me.
In the logs I found this:
### ERROR ### *0* WinHttpSendRequest() failed, server: <serveraddress>:443, Error Code: ERROR_WINHTTP_CANNOT_CONNECT (Unable to connect.) @ Connection.cpp line 1432 [Zimbra::Rpc::Conne
I am positively sure that this is the right address though since typing <serveraddress> in the browser does take me to the webmail.
I am using ZimbraConnectorOLK_8.6.0.1307_x86 if with Outlook 2007.
The server runs 8.6.0_GA_1162.NETWORK

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?
Last edited by swimmer on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Outlook 2007 not able to connect to zimbra server

Post by phoenix »

One out-of-context line from the error log doesn't really say very much, I'd suggest you look at the settings for the port number to which you're trying to connect and make sure it 443. Failing that you should post some more details about the log entries.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
swimmer

Post by swimmer »

look at the settings for the port number to which you're trying to connect
Where in the ZCS Connector settings do I find this? In the Server Configuration tab I can only see the checkbox for use secure connection, but no specific port setting.
Trying to add the port to the server url (<serverurl>:<port>) didn't change anything.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

swimmer wrote:Where in the ZCS Connector settings do I find this?
The port setting is in Outlook itself.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
swimmer

Post by swimmer »

I am a bit confused, I just started working with Zimbra.
I was under the impression that the ZCS Connector is a substitution for the regular Outlook connection settings.
Under Accounts I get to the screen where I enter the Zimbra server name, my account and my password.
I also have tabs for connection settings (which only has proxy settings), download settings (if I want only to download headers) and the ZDB config.
Nowhere there I can find any way to change the port with which the connector connects to the server.

Am I looking at the right place?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

swimmer wrote:Am I looking at the right place?
Yes you are, sorry it's my mistake. It's been a while since I used the ZCO and you can configure the port with the ZCO Customization tool and I guess you haven't used that. :) Have you disabled SElinux on the server and is there any firewall in front of your ZCS server, I'm also assuming that you haven't changed the default port on the server to anything other than 443? If you have changed that port then you would need to use the tool to modify the ZCO installer.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
swimmer

Post by swimmer »

Have you disabled SElinux
Yes.
is there any firewall in front of your ZCS server
No. It's behind the company firewall, as is my PC. We are in the same subnet.
I'm also assuming that you haven't changed the default port on the server to anything other than 443?
Not that I know of, so most probably no.

I will try the customization tool (if I can find it) later. I'll report back when I tried it and will tell you what I found.

However, please be aware that other colleagues with the same Outlook version, the same ZCS Connector version and also in the same subnet do not have any troubles connecting with the ZCS Connector. They do have problems with syncing signatures to Outlook, but that's another topic.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

One other thing that can cause problems is anti-virus software on the PC, if you do have that installed then disable it and try again.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
swimmer

Post by swimmer »

I only run MSE right now. Tried disabling that but that didn't help.
I also looked at the ZCS msi customizer and it only gives me the option to specify a different port. I didn't alter it right now because the same msi works for colleagues (like mentioned above).

I looked up what ports are configured and here is what I found:

IMAP: 7143
IMAP SSL: 7993
POP3: 7110
POP3 SSL: 7995
HTTP: 80
HTTPS: 443
Proxy IMAP: 143
Proxy IMAPS: 993
Proxy POP3: 110
Proxy POP3S: 995

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can see. Not sure how to continue debugging this.
swimmer

Post by swimmer »

I can't make any sense of it, but he local failure notice comes with a sync_response.xml
I can't seem to upload it here, so I threw it onto pastebin. http://pastebin.com/Sjm52JcD

The wierd thing is that it correctly syncs calenders shared by a colleague and the sync resposne has all the folders I have in the web view. But still the sync fails. I couldn't find anything more useful in the .xml but maybe one of you can.

/edit: Changed the topic title to more accurately reflect what the problem is. Since connecting evidently isn't the issue, but syncing is.