[SOLVED] Trying to install to a Scaleway Server

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
jradxl

[SOLVED] Trying to install to a Scaleway Server

Post by jradxl »

Hi,
I'm trying to install to Ubuntu 16.04 running in a Scaleway C2S bare metal server.
Alhough I have a public static IP address (with A and MX records) the server itself has a dynamic ip address.
(this is the way Scaleway offer their servers)
This is the opposite to DDNS, where the public ip might change, but the server's ip would be static like 192.168.1.1

So, during the zmsetup script, it is the server's IP that is found, which of course fails the MX lookup.

Thinking that Split DNS might solve my problem, I tried to configure up a Zone, but I find I need a static ip.

Can anyone advise of a solution and/or configuration of Split DNS with a dyamic server ip?
Perhaps I could run Zimbra in an LXD container, where I'd have control over the the IP number from within the container. (Assuming such would run on Scaleway)
Thanks
John
Last edited by jradxl on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Trying to install to a Scaleway Server

Post by phoenix »

You can't run a mail server on a dynamic IP address, it needs to be fixed as the changing IP caused problems for mail delivery etc.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 0

Post by vavai »

Hi,

What about to installing it on top of Docker on Scaleway? As Docker has its own internal network configuration, you can then setup Zimbra by using its own internal IP and then passing all traffic from it's host (Scaleway VM) into container.

Actually, I didn't test it but as far as I remember, I have had install Zimbra on Scaleway on top of Docker but forgot to remember the result :)
jradxl

Post by jradxl »

Hi @vavai
I was thinking of Docker, but my preference is LXD.
So far I do have LXD (version 2.8, from ppa) installed and a container with static IP running.
I'm sure I'll have some results in a few days.
Thanks for your suggestion
John
jradxl

Post by jradxl »

On reading the Scaleway documentation again, they say that the server's private IP will only change if I poweroff the image, whereas it will remain if I just reboot.
Based on that, I thought I'd continue installing on the baremetal server, once I got the SplitDNS sorted out.
So following the various articles available via Google, I configured up Bind9 and installed Zimbra.
This is the first time I've tried the Collaboration server, and as far as I can tell at present, all is working fine.
And very impressed I am to - thanks to all!
I'll return to trying using LXD later on another server.
Thanks
John
vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 0

Post by vavai »

Hi,
jradxl wrote:On reading the Scaleway documentation again, they say that the server's private IP will only change if I poweroff the image, whereas it will remain if I just reboot.
Based on that, I thought I'd continue installing on the baremetal server, once I got the SplitDNS sorted out.
So following the various articles available via Google, I configured up Bind9 and installed Zimbra.
This is the first time I've tried the Collaboration server, and as far as I can tell at present, all is working fine.
And very impressed I am to - thanks to all!
I'll return to trying using LXD later on another server.
Thanks
John
Glad to hear your problem solved successfully and thanks for updating this thread so others can refer to this for similar problem. You can also mark this thread as "Solved" :)