Installing Zimbra 8.8.12_GA_3794 on Ubuntu 18.04

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
marsagui

Re: Installing Zimbra 8.8.12_GA_3794 on Ubuntu 18.04

Post by marsagui »

Buenas Tardes Sres por favor su apyo.lo que el señor publica como alternativa de solucion no es posible por que sale un error.

Alguien por favor puede apoyarnos tengo un disco con espacio de 800GB y en menos de 3 horas lo ha llenado y el zimbra la parte web ya no funciona se pone muy lento ocupando el uso de procesador hasta de 99%

ese es el mensaje que sale dentro del archivo

/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat-io line 76

se ha realizado este cambio pero no corre

login as zimbra and stop zmstat: zmstatctl stop
edit /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat-io
replace all "Device:" with "Device" (in vi, put ":%s/Device:/Device/g" without quotes) and save.
delete the /opt/zimbra/zmstat/zmstat.io file that is probably huge.
restart zmstat: zmstatctl start

agardesco su apoyo
LinuxCuba

Post by LinuxCuba »

ponty wrote:Regarding the zmstat.out messages that are filling up your hard drive, "Use of uninitialized value $line in pattern match (m//) at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat-io line 76" ...

I'm not sure if this will break anything else, as I'm really not an expert. However, after reviewing the output of iostat that's ready by zmstat-io, (/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat-io) I noticed that "Device" in the iostat output doesn't contain a ":" as it appears to be looking for in the script (Device:). So here's what I did--it at least stopped the messages from filling up the zmstat.out file that quickly fills up the hard drive:

login as zimbra and stop zmstat: zmstatctl stop
edit /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat-io
replace all "Device:" with "Device" (in vi, put ":%s/Device:/Device/g" without quotes) and save.
delete the /opt/zimbra/zmstat/zmstat.io file that is probably huge.
restart zmstat: zmstatctl start
Offending, space-filling messages should be all gone!

I hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

Ponty
In file /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat-io line 75 change to this while ($line !~ /^avg-cpu(:)?/ && $line !~ /^Device(:)?/) {
in line 86 change to this while ($line !~ /^Device(:)?/) {
and line 89 change to this $line =~ s/^Device:\s+//;
richjim

Post by richjim »

Hello,

Were you able to find a fix to this? I am having the same issue with Ubuntu 18.04.

Thank you!

Richard
mmartin

Post by mmartin »

Hello,

I install zimbra 8.8.12 in Ubuntu 18.04, all service are running ok, but in the web interface I receive the messages "Service Failed".

In the monitor options, when make click in "Advanced Statistics" I receive the menssage: Message: system failure: Unable to read logger stats Error code: service.FAILURE Method: [unknown] Details:soap:Receiver.

In the logs cannot see any error menssage.
jamyles

Post by jamyles »

mmartin wrote:Hello,

I install zimbra 8.8.12 in Ubuntu 18.04, all service are running ok, but in the web interface I receive the messages "Service Failed".

In the monitor options, when make click in "Advanced Statistics" I receive the menssage: Message: system failure: Unable to read logger stats Error code: service.FAILURE Method: [unknown] Details:soap:Receiver.

In the logs cannot see any error menssage.
I just figured this out, so wanted to share.

First of all, make sure you've fixed both /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstat-io and /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsyslogsetup as described earlier in this thread.

Then run

Code: Select all

/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsyslogsetup
as root. It should succeed.

Here's the critical part, create and change ownership of the two Zimbra log files syslog is expected to write to.

touch /var/log/zimbra.log
touch /var/log/zimbra-stats.log
chown syslog:adm /var/log/zimbra*.log
chmod 644 /var/log/zimbra*.log
Restart zmswatch and zmlogswatch.

zmswatchctl restart
zmlogswatchctl restart
Restart rsyslogd for good measure.

systemctl restart rsyslog
Wait a few moments, and you should see both log files start populating. Wait a few more moments and you should see zimbraAdmin show correct Server Status and Advanced Statistics. Enjoy!
mtk

Post by mtk »

Need to get rid of my Zimbra on Ubuntu 14.04 and thought I go for Ubuntu 18.04 directly.
Ran into this issue right away.
While being aware support is beta, first things looking after installation is logs at /var/log/zimbra.log
This should have been found at QC.
Given the replys in this thread, this also should be a rather easy fix. Can't believe this bug is open since april and still happens at fresh install?! :shock:
jamyles

Post by jamyles »

One update, as logrotate reverted the permissions on the log files. In /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra modify the first two sections:

/var/log/zimbra.log {
    daily
    missingok
    notifempty
    create 0644 syslog adm
    postrotate
      kill -HUP `cat /var/run/rsyslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
      su - zimbra -c "/opt/zimbra/bin/zmconfigdctl restart" > /dev/null 2>&1 || true
    endscript
    compress
}

/var/log/zimbra-stats.log {
    daily
    missingok
    notifempty
    create 0644 syslog adm
    postrotate
      su - zimbra -c "/opt/zimbra/bin/zmconfigdctl restart" > /dev/null 2>&1 || true
    endscript
    rotate 0
}
Last edited by jamyles on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RomanI

Post by RomanI »

Thanks jamyles,

that solution worked for me - unfortunately though, only for a few days - it's suddenly stopped again.....

any suggestions where to start looking? every log file that I've looked at shows correctly...the only thing that jumps out is that there doesn't seem to be data for the last 48hours according to the reports...
jamyles

Post by jamyles »

RomanI wrote:Thanks jamyles,

that solution worked for me - unfortunately though, only for a few days - it's suddenly stopped again.....
Yes, I see something similar on my system but can't find an immediate cause. I'll try to poke at it more when I have some time.
jamyles

Post by jamyles »

I think I got it. /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra was using the wrong path to the rsyslogd PID file. I just corrected it in my earlier example in this thread, but basically change these lines:

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog*.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
to this:

Last edited by jamyles on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.