Promise is undefined error for Talk after 8.8.15 upgrade

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
infosyst

Promise is undefined error for Talk after 8.8.15 upgrade

Post by infosyst »

We upgraded from 8.8.11 to 8.8.15 NE and now receive the following error at login:

Critical
An error occurred while initializing the zimlet "com_zextras_talk".
Please notify administrator.
ReferenceError: 'Promise' is undefined

This only present in Internet Explorer. Other browsers load Talk correctly. We tried the new "Connect" as well and got the same error (obviously with a different Zimlet name).

We contacted support and were told to abandon IE and use a "modern" browser. As much as I would like to do that, we have applications in our corporate environment that require IE so moving away isn't an option. Anyone have any insights on a possible solution?
Attachments
promise.JPG
promise.JPG (18.67 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Promise is undefined error for Talk after 8.8.15 upgrade

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,

IE is supported. If the version you are using is under support, you should insist in getting support.

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Rel ... ed_Systems

Also, is the problem not happening in a "non IE" browser like Chrome?
infosyst

Post by infosyst »

Yes, we finally got support to investigate further and they have submitted it as a bug to the dev team. Apparently it is a combination of running on a Ubuntu server and using IE as the client browser. All other browsers work correctly.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

infosyst wrote:Yes, we finally got support to investigate further and they have submitted it as a bug to the dev team. Apparently it is a combination of running on a Ubuntu server and using IE as the client browser. All other browsers work correctly.
What version of Ubuntu Server are you running please? And did Support give you the bug number?

Thanks,
Mark
infosyst

Post by infosyst »

Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS. I don't have a bug number.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by L. Mark Stone »

infosyst wrote:Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS. I don't have a bug number.
In my experience, localconfig variables don't always get updated to the latest settings. May I suggest running the following command and comparing the output to your system?

Code: Select all

zimbra@zimbra:~$ zmlocalconfig | grep java_options
imapd_java_options = 
mailboxd_java_options = -server -Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2 -Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl= -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.disablejsr199=true -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=15 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=45 -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -verbose:gc -Xlog:gc*=info,safepoint=info:file=/opt/zimbra/log/gc.log:time:filecount=20,filesize=10m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
spnego_java_options = -Djava.security.krb5.conf=${mailboxd_directory}/etc/krb5.ini -Djava.security.auth.login.config=${mailboxd_directory}/etc/spnego.conf -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false
zimbra_zmjava_options = -Xmx256m -Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2 -Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
zimbra@zimbra:~$ 
Hope that helps,
Mark

P.S. If Zimbra Support said they opened a bug, you are entitled to know the bug number and to have your Support Case remain open until the bug is fixed. You should receive periodic updates on your case as the bug makes its way through development.
infosyst

Post by infosyst »

I have requested the bug number an will post it if I get it.

I compared the output and the only difference is the section "-Xlog:gc*=info" which I'm guessing is related to logging. Mine reads "-Xlog:gc*=debug". How do I adjust the logging level?
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by L. Mark Stone »

infosyst wrote:I have requested the bug number an will post it if I get it.

I compared the output and the only difference is the section "-Xlog:gc*=info" which I'm guessing is related to logging. Mine reads "-Xlog:gc*=debug". How do I adjust the logging level?
To adjust any of the parameters you need to edit the entire value. I doubt the logging level is causing your issue however.

Code: Select all

zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_options="-server -Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2 -Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl= -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.disablejsr199=true -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=15 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=45 -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -verbose:gc -Xlog:gc*=info,safepoint=info:file=/opt/zimbra/log/gc.log:time:filecount=20,filesize=10m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
spnego_java_options = -Djava.security.krb5.conf=${mailboxd_directory}/etc/krb5.ini -Djava.security.auth.login.config=${mailboxd_directory}/etc/spnego.conf -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false"
Please be careful!

All the best,
Mark
e.br

Post by e.br »

Hi,

For information,
We are running a centos 7 server with zimbra 8.8.15 Patch2 and have the same issue with IE 11..
infosyst

Post by infosyst »

We received an update from support. The bug numbers are ZBUG-1155, ZBUG-1129.

Unfortunately they informed us that the new chat client uses WebRTC. IE does not have WebRTC support and will not support the chat client. So, the only path forward is to utilize a different browser in order to use Talk/Connect.