Android app Gmail settings are more secure

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Android app Gmail settings are more secure

Post by gabrieles »

We are facing an issue with Gmail app.
Several customers reported today that their mobile devices with Activesync set up are showing, when accessing mail, a blank screen with the message
Can't add account.
Gmail's security settings are more secure than those set by your IT admin.
Contact your IT admin for help.

The only options it gives are Remove account or Close.

There are no errors on the logs. We added an accountLogger, at debug level and retrieves only valid responses.
Looks like these responses are not liked by the last Gmail app update.
Other apps, like Boxer or Bluemail work flawlessly.

The common elements are:
- Android >= 8
- Gmail App version 2019.10.20.278647676
- Zimbra Network 8.8.x with mobile NG

Zimbra version, and ng modules package version are not relevant. We found the same problem either on zcs 8.8.12 and 8.8.15, and on versions that has either 6.0.0.1562147220-1.u16 or 6.0.4.1570199372-1.u16 zimbra-network-modules-ng package.
Screenshot attached is from an Italian version, but on devices with english locale it's the same.
Attachments
Screenshot attached is from an italian device, but on devices with english locale it's the same.
Screenshot attached is from an italian device, but on devices with english locale it's the same.
gm.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Re: Android app Gmail settings are more secure

Post by L. Mark Stone »

FWIW... One of my on-premises customers here is the US reached out to me late last week with the same issue.

I mentioned it seemed similar to the restrictions one can place on a mobile device via Zimbra's mobile device management functionality, but we got no further.

Mark
bsn9912

Post by bsn9912 »

HI *,

we are having the exact same issue since the GMail update. The only solution we found is to enable mobile security policy on the zimbra server which for example allows/permits us to delete the smartphone of our customers thourgh active sync protocol.
This is not an option to our customers.

Please help.

Greetings,
Martin
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,

2 of my customers are experiencing this problem too. One of them is on 8.8.12 and the other on 8.8.15 latests patch in both cases.

The workaround they found is to roll back to a previous version of the gmail app (it appears to be an option within) and then reconfigure the account. It seems than later on, they can update the app once again.

For what I see in google forums, it seems to afect other platforms too (not only a zimbra thing) https://support.google.com/mail/thread/13559203?hl=en

More googling, lead me to this https://developers.google.com/android/w ... eprecation

Although in my case, none of my customers affected are using the mobile management features.

I asked them both to open a case with Zimbra...I keep you posted if any relevant info is given from zimbra support.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,

One of my customers found a way to overcome this issue by activating the "enable mobile management" option in ZxMobile, so a pop-up to accept the security risks is available again. Nontheless, this option was never needed for Pixel 3 users, which by some reason, had no problem to keep working with any gmail app version.

Hope this helps!