Outlook 2019 freezing

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15

Outlook 2019 freezing

Post by patrickwilson82 »

Hi,

I just wondered if there were any known issues with Zimbra Outlook Connector causing Outlook 2019 to freeze when Outlook sits idle for My users are running Outlook Connector 8.8.12. I've tried disabling all other add-ins but the Zimbra add-ins. This has not helped. These are not super large mailboxes. I've tried a quick repair of Office, but this hasn't helped. Any suggestions?
arettig

Re: Outlook 2019 freezing

Post by arettig »

We have this exact same issue. I've created a support case and went back and forth with a support rep for well over a month with no resolution. Under the zimbra tab in outlook enable logging. Close and restart Outlook. I bet it will stop crashing. We actually have enabled a GPO to set the registry key on all devices in our organization to enable zimbra logging as it stops the crashing. Support is worthless and won't do anything. They'll request logs, which you send them and then say that it doesn't contain the info they need and to enable logging in outlook and zimbra. You'll enable logging on zimbra and the crashing stops.
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

arettig wrote:We have this exact same issue. I've created a support case and went back and forth with a support rep for well over a month with no resolution. Under the zimbra tab in outlook enable logging. Close and restart Outlook. I bet it will stop crashing. We actually have enabled a GPO to set the registry key on all devices in our organization to enable zimbra logging as it stops the crashing. Support is worthless and won't do anything. They'll request logs, which you send them and then say that it doesn't contain the info they need and to enable logging in outlook and zimbra. You'll enable logging on zimbra and the crashing stops.
Would you mind sharing how you did that? I sent you a private message as well. Thanks!
Rony
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 9.0.0_GA_4174

Post by Rony »

Hi,
Sorry guys to reopen this thread, there is probably a newer one but the search function always fails me.
I am using Outlook 2013, at first the Zimbra connector seemed fine then lately it gets stuck for no reason.

I have compacted the folder, used the Outlook repair tool, enabled the logging as I read but nothing is helping.
The only solution is to close Outlook, remove it from the task manager list as it stays somehow active and restart it.
It will work fine after restart then will freeze again at 2nd Send/Receive.
Sometimes the other accounts will start synchronizing then everything will stop with the Zimbra one.
zimbra-outlook2013.png
zimbra-outlook2013.png (25.58 KiB) Viewed 18739 times
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

Rony,

What version of Zimbra Outlook Connector are you using? I have not had this problem in some time since I've upgraded to outlook Connector 9.0.0.1880. I'm sure there are also newer versions than that as well.

Also, does this user have a large mailbox? Outlook will not let them exceed a 50GB limit, even though Zimbra can be unlimitied.
Rony

Post by Rony »

Hi Patrick,

thank you for the post:
I have Quota:
1,363.049 MB
My Zimbra connector is
Client 9.0.0.1907
Server 9.0.0_GA_4174

So should I reload the previous version? Because I also had same issues before, hence updating.
patrickwilson82
Advanced member
Advanced member

Rony wrote:Hi Patrick,

thank you for the post:
I have Quota:
1,363.049 MB
My Zimbra connector is
Client 9.0.0.1907
Server 9.0.0_GA_4174

So should I reload the previous version? Because I also had same issues before, hence updating.
I doubt rolling back the version would help. Does the problem happen if you create a new Outlook profile? I wonder if the profile is corrupt.

The enabling logging suggestion was mainly for gathering logs for Zimbra support to analyze. That's really all I can think of as far as ideas. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.
Rony

Outlook 201x freezing

Post by Rony »

HI,
I have removed the Zimbra account and added it back.
It is now synchronizing and stopped freezing but I cannot make it the default account, actually I cannot move or change any account up or down either in the Outlook profile.
In result, I cannot access the Zimbra calendar or contacts from Outlook anymore.

I have to admit that using the Zimbra connector is not as reliable as it should.
If we use it to add an account after external ones are added, it doesn't behave as it should and every time I waste a lot of time on this issue.
It is not possible to make the Zimbra as default unless we delete all other accounts and start by the Zimbra one then add the others again, that is not practical neither user friendly.

If we choose to add Zimbra as IMAP instead of using the connector then we don't have the contacts and calendars as default and we cannot use them properly.
There should be a fix to simplify this process and make it easier to manage Zimbra accounts within the connector.