Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Zimbra 9 now available - in case anyone missed the blog post

Post by phoenix »

JakeMS wrote:Although, there are a few missing things such as information about enabling DKIM etc. But it does appear to be a viable option, but with a lot more work necessary to get it running, and a somewhat lack of documentation.
I've only looked into Kopano superficially so far but if it's just the standard postfix package then you could add Rspamd into it fairly easily, that would do DKIM,etc., and it's fairly trivial to implement for an experienced admin.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jasggomes
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.7.11.GA.1854.UBUNTU14.64

Post by jasggomes »

Hi to all,
Hoping all doing OK. Just my 2 cents ...

After reading all of the comments on this thread I think it's time to give Kopano a new chance.
I liked it, although very complicated, compared to Zimbra, but doable, and also more resources consuming, but at least, it still offers a FOSS/OSE version.

I agree that companies need to have some income of all the work they do, but I also know that they also benefit a lot with the OSE versions and all the feedback they receive, so in my opinion, removing the OSE for version 9, well good luck for the next years ...

Stay safe and well.
JG
rosch
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20220713.UBUNTU20.64

Post by rosch »

JakeMS wrote:From this thread, I've also started looking into Kopano, a bit of information for others looking - the website you want is "kopano.io" for the open source version, this isn't mentioned very well on their commercial website.

With that said, It's actually a fairly interesting alternative. :ugeek:

Officially they only offer nightly builds (For free), but if like me that sounds like a crazy idea for a production environment... there is Debian as an option, as it appears to be included in the Debian repositories:
https://packages.debian.org/search?lang ... rds=kopano

This means you can install simply using "apt-get install kopano-core", and it allows using the system default versions of postfix, clamav etc. And of course, a non-nightly stable version... this is actually sounding very promising. :D.
Sounds good. kopano-core is a meta-package, and on Ubuntu 20.04 it's installing about 27 packages.

Now the only thing left is a good how-to about the Zimbra -> Kopano import.
JakeMS

Post by JakeMS »

phoenix wrote:
JakeMS wrote:Although, there are a few missing things such as information about enabling DKIM etc. But it does appear to be a viable option, but with a lot more work necessary to get it running, and a somewhat lack of documentation.
I've only looked into Kopano superficially so far but if it's just the standard postfix package then you could add Rspamd into it fairly easily, that would do DKIM,etc., and it's fairly trivial to implement for an experienced admin.
I've not installed kopano yet, so I can't be certain. But indeed it looks to use whichever mta you throw at it and you need to configure it yourself (unlike zimbra, where it is configured based on zimbra options). I've also not used RSpamd, generally I've stuck with spamassassin in the past as it seems to do the job. It also looks like you can use something other than postfix for your mta if you chose (But I like postfix, so postfix for me).

I'll also look into rspamd now, it does look omoshiroi :D. Although, my gut instinct is you'll need still need opendkim for the actual signing of emails, and rspamd will just check incoming. But, I say this as someone who hasn't used/checked rspamd. Although, it all should be easy to setup, and once set it's "done" until you do your yearly dkim key reset.

We've used Zimbra since 2013, and generally it "works". It does what we need and does it well. But I've been feeling for a while we needed a change. So I'm optimistic for Kopano (my main grievance with zimbra is the ram usage, for 10 (heavy) users, zimbra likes to crap itself if the server has anything less than 32GB of ram, even on a fresh install), so it feels fresh to have the prospect of using something else.

Zimbra works well, but it doesn't come without its fair share of bugs, but then that can be said about any software (I'd wager a bet, kopano has a few bugs which annoy it's users too)

And, with having not stepped foot at all outside into the outside world for 3-weeks now due to corona, I'm happy to find something to do and research,I'm stick in 4-walls, no garden, on my own without so much as a phone call.. feeling a little crazy.. I will be glad when I can open the shop and talk to and serve real humans again, servers when they work without problems are great, but they suck when it comes to giving you something to do! Each day I prey a server breaks. At least humans, never fail to ask the most... questions and make your mind work.

Anyhows, overall, we will see! And I'm not crazy at all :D (I think :idea:)

On a different note, further investigation of Kopano, I decided to look into migration.. this isn't a pretty subject!

For emails kopano uses what appears to be imapsync to migrate emails (personally, I'd stick to pure imapsync which I've used to migrate zimbra to new hardware a few times). Interestingly kopano doesn't seem to have a quick/easy way to import/export calendars/tasks or contacts like zimbra does. I liked that with zimbra you could export contacts/calenders and import them on a fresh install, so I see this as a potential roadblock, but I believe a workaround could be running both services at the same time and telling users to copy/paste events via Evolution. But, this isn't the most user friendly method and is sure to cause a few arguments ("Well why can't you do that for us?!").

So, yup, overall still researching and learning as much about kopano as I can! Must find something to do........
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Interesting comments about Kopano, we're in lockdown for another four weeks so a good time (perhaps) for some research. :) You definitely won't need opendkim as Rspamd does the signing as well as verification.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Post by davidkillingsworth »

Reading this announcement is like eating a shit sandwich, but it's good to see regular posters in this comment thread that I've sort of gotten to know here in the forums over the past 8 years of supporting and managing Zimbra installs for customers.

80% of our customers have moved to Office 365, 5% are using small hosting company IMAP/cPanel types email hosting, and the rest are all Zimbra.

I just can't see paying $25 USD/month for network edition and a minimum of 25 seats and you can't by directly from the vendor. Why wouldn't someone use G Suite or Office 365 for those prices and that headache? If they had a small business package or licensing model, I think most of my customers wouldn't mind actually paying licenses, but the pricing is ridiculous.

What I've loved about Zimbra is that it's perfect for small startups that had a bit of server infrastructure, shops that are linux centric, or shops that have specific requirements, such as those that don't want to host mail at a company that is under US jurisdiction.

We've definitely seen the decline in the past 2 or 3 years with detrimental bugs showing up in upgrades, and the inability to submit and comment on bug reports.

Incidentally, I found this link in a thread on reddit - http://www.beezim.fr/pages/zimbra-9-oss/ that some of you might be interested in contributing to.
sgiunchi

Post by sgiunchi »

I'm very upset about the license change.
I contacted my sales contact to explain my disappointment, for what it's worth.
mntwinsfan

Post by mntwinsfan »

I created a wiki meant to for OSS users to collaborate and put our minds together on the next steps. My goal is to compare the different options and then start putting how-to guides out there on migrating. While I don't have much there yet, I encourage everyone to visit and start adding: https://www.myemailproject.com
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Post by Martinwiertz »

Today i saw the 9.0.0 open source statement about Open source via Github. Does this mean we don’t have a disruption as long as The Github community can regularly convert the Zimbra code to binaries?

As a small user for my family I would like to stay with Zimbra. Whats your view on this new Zimbra statement?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You can get the Zimbra 9 version here: http://www.beezim.fr/pages/zimbra-9-oss/

As far as the Synacor statement goes it seems, to me, that it's just confirming they have no interest in providing builds for Zimbra nor having any interaction with the Community on these forums which gets them what they want - no OSS users and no forums to support plus the cost saving of the (soon to be removed) build/updates process. but you can just call me an old cynic. :)

[EDIT}I forgot to add this to this post: https://github.com/OpenZimbra
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra