ZCS 9 OSS Patches

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
GlooM
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: ZCS 9 OSS Patches

Post by GlooM »

Greetings!
Do I understand correctly that at the moment updates are regularly released for Zimbra OSS version 8.8.15, and for 9 they have stopped being delivered?
It turns out that 8.8.15 is preferable to use than the newer 9?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

GlooM wrote:Greetings!
Do I understand correctly that at the moment updates are regularly released for Zimbra OSS version 8.8.15, and for 9 they have stopped being delivered?
Yes, that's correct and I feel that Synacor has dropped the OSS community right in the sxxx!! Their current argument for doing nothing is: we give you the source code, you sort it out. It sounds like they're doing us a favour by providing the source code but they fail to mention that their use of the open source products has a requirement to subsequently provide that open source for anyone to use.
GlooM wrote:It turns out that 8.8.15 is preferable to use than the newer 9?
That's a decision you have to make.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
GlooM
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by GlooM »

phoenix wrote:That's a decision you have to make.
It's good that I didn't have time to upgrade to 9. But what about those who have already installed it? If there are no patches, then you can get the update only when a new minor release is out (For example 9.1 )?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

GlooM wrote:
phoenix wrote:That's a decision you have to make.
It's good that I didn't have time to upgrade to 9. But what about those who have already installed it? If there are no patches, then you can get the update only when a new minor release is out (For example 9.1 )?
Well, the answer is that Zimbra tells us that the people that build Zimbra 9 should supply the patches. FWIW, I did update the ZCS 9 and I'm running it without problems. If builds I've installed don't get any patches then I'll have to reconsider my continued use of the product as I'm just a novice and not capable of building software such as ZCS.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
GlooM
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by GlooM »

It turns out that if Zextras build binaries from the Zimbra source codes, then they should also build patches? Those, Zexstras need to open its own update repository? I went to the Zextras forum, but there is silence in the topics about the problem with patches.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

John said previously in this thread that there's a problem with Zimbra/Synacor repo and the (source code for the) patches are missing from it.
So right now (unless this was fixed but not told), no one can build the patches anyway.
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Post by Martinwiertz »

It would be appreciated if Zimbra reacts. Why all the fuzzz if service in the repo's is restored?

Are FOSS and NE repos the same? I think not. Paying customers can't accept these sudden change in their supportcontract.

* Community builds it own binaries because Zimbra discontinued - Beezim and Zextras provide these builds
* FOSS community are ambassadors to Zimbra without extra burden to Zimbra

If support to FOSS is discontinued please communicate. We will select an alternative with security patches. This improves the security of the internet.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Perhaps the lack of interest in the OSS version is because Synacor was taken over by a Private Equity firm earlier this year - time will tell but I don't hold out much hope :cry: : https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 005340/en/
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
ArmanKhosravi

Post by ArmanKhosravi »

Hey there,

It's correct that Zextras has released its own build of Zimbra 9, and you can get it from here https://www.zextras.com/zextras-build-b ... epository/. Then you can find the instructions to install it on https://www.zextras.com/first-time-installation/ and info about upgrades and patches in this article https://community.zextras.com/zimbra-9- ... tallation/.

I hope this helps!
danielb

Post by danielb »

That's the point of this thread : Zimbra doesn't publish patches for v9 on their repo anymore (still not clear if it's a decision or an error)