Include Rocky Linux support

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
kyiu

Include Rocky Linux support

Post by kyiu »

I was trying to install Zimbra 8.8.15 on Rocky 8.4. I spent hours troubleshooting the installation failure not realized the Zimbra repo needs to have support for the Rocky Linux. I didn't want to install the Zimbra on Centos 8 as it's going to be dropped by RHEL soon. Is it possible to include Rocky Linux to be added in your Zimbra repo?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Include Rocky Linux support

Post by phoenix »

Install ZCS on centos 7 as that has another three years of support then see what options you have during that period.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
kyiu

Post by kyiu »

Centos7 is stuck on kernel 3.1. Only Centos8 (and Rocky 8) has the latest kernel
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

kyiu wrote:Centos7 is stuck on kernel 3.1. Only Centos8 (and Rocky 8) has the latest kernel
That's nonsense. You can imstall a more recent kernel if you choose to, I have the ML 5.14.x kernel installed on my server.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
NetBLOKS

Post by NetBLOKS »

For Rocky-Linux just

Code: Select all

echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux.*release 8" > /etc/redhat-release
And you are good to go.
thomas.klaube
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15P33

Post by thomas.klaube »

Hi all,
NetBLOKS wrote:For Rocky-Linux just

And you are good to go.
Yes, this works. We have a Zimbra 9.0 test system running on springdale Linux for > 6month now, and there are no problems so far. Springdale is another Red Hat Enterprise clone that exists for almost 20 years now (even "older" than CentOS!). I assume the same trick would do for AlmaLinux (untested). For me it is not so important which Red Hat clone to use as base OS in the future, be it Rocky-Linux, AlmaLinux, Springdale or whatever other clone, but I have objections to Oracle linux. I believe that there are quite some people out there who have had bad experiences with oracle.

We are in the process of replacing older Zimbra servers based on CentOS 6. These servers are running latest Zimbra 8.8.15 version but as the OS is now deprecated they need to be migrated onto a new OS platform. The oldest machine was put into service back in 2011 - 10 years ago. These very long lifecycles were always the big plus of CentOS/RedHat compared to Ubuntu and I really don't want to switch to CentOS 7 now as this will go out of maintenance by mid 2024 which is less than 3 years from now. I would really appreciate if Zimbra could commit to one of the existing Red Hat Clones beside Oracle Linux.

Regards
Thomas
NetBLOKS

Post by NetBLOKS »

thomas.klaube wrote:Hi all,
NetBLOKS wrote:For Rocky-Linux just

And you are good to go.
Yes, this works. We have a Zimbra 9.0 test system running on springdale Linux for > 6month now, and there are no problems so far. Springdale is another Red Hat Enterprise clone that exists for almost 20 years now (even "older" than CentOS!). I assume the same trick would do for AlmaLinux (untested). For me it is not so important which Red Hat clone to use as base OS in the future, be it Rocky-Linux, AlmaLinux, Springdale or whatever other clone, but I have objections to Oracle linux. I believe that there are quite some people out there who have had bad experiences with oracle.

We are in the process of replacing older Zimbra servers based on CentOS 6. These servers are running latest Zimbra 8.8.15 version but as the OS is now deprecated they need to be migrated onto a new OS platform. The oldest machine was put into service back in 2011 - 10 years ago. These very long lifecycles were always the big plus of CentOS/RedHat compared to Ubuntu and I really don't want to switch to CentOS 7 now as this will go out of maintenance by mid 2024 which is less than 3 years from now. I would really appreciate if Zimbra could commit to one of the existing Red Hat Clones beside Oracle Linux.

Regards
Thomas
Yes, exactly.
I would also appreciate Rocky or AlmaLinux.
Not Springdale because of it´s very slow development and not Oracle because of it´s very bad relationship to open source projects.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

NetBLOKS wrote:Yes, exactly.
I would also appreciate Rocky or AlmaLinux.
Not Springdale because of it´s very slow development and not Oracle because of it´s very bad relationship to open source projects.
How about this Community build? https://github.com/ianw1974/zimbra-builds from here:viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68097&hilit=rocky+builds&start=80
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
ghen
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0

Post by ghen »

Take a look at bin/get_plat_tag.sh in the installer. Just add a corresponding block there to recognize "Rocky Linux release 8" as RHEL8.
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

ghen wrote:Take a look at bin/get_plat_tag.sh in the installer. Just add a corresponding block there to recognize "Rocky Linux release 8" as RHEL8.
Exactly... Ian's script also does this patch automatically for those that want to build and install it themselves and take control of the OSS release cycle so they always have a version that is patched at the time of compile. I really like how he created a patch framework so we can add additional features or bug fixes that the OSS version should have. I have some things I hope to add in the near future that have been on my mind for 15+ years with Zimbra. This week I started using Ian's scripts to make our version of the OSS version 9 product and hopefully contribute to his excellent work. There is no reason that any of the RHEL clones should not work IMHO and I bet the debian/ubuntu crowd should see similar. I use Oracle 8 here as my RHEL 8 for the commercial version in case any one cares. I started with Centos 8 and converted it via an Oracle upgrade script that converts the repositories in a few minutes.

SOAP BOX ON
Before anyone gives me a warning about Oracle, my first home computer was a sun 3/80 that I compiled and ran the sunos kernel from source code directly so not a fan of Oracle given my love for all things Sun Microsystems but I am a fan of RHEL and their 10 year product cycles for running zimbra. :-) Long live Rocky Linux and any others that are attempting to fill the void left by centos 8.
SOAP BOX OFF