Migration from Zimbra 8.8.12 to 10.0.0 FOSS

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
peaceworks

Migration from Zimbra 8.8.12 to 10.0.0 FOSS

Post by peaceworks »

I'm working on migrating some accounts (about 250) to a newly built server running Daffodil on Ubuntu 20.04 and I'm wondering what is the best way to do the migration if the source and destination servers are both running the Open Source edition. I reviewed the Zimbra documentation, but it seems to only apply to network edition. We have used some scripts that dump the mailboxes, distribution lists, aliases, etc. before, but we have only used it to migrate to a server running the same version of Zimbra. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pajari
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Re: Migration from Zimbra 8.8.12 to 10.0.0 FOSS

Post by pajari »

Hi peaceworks,

Daffodil (Zimbra 10) does not officially support Open source edition and may not work correctly.

At moment, we don't have documented migration guide for Open source server to server migration. There are few resources that you can check if it helps with migration process:
https://www.habibza.in/zimbra-open-sour ... -transfer/
https://syslint.com/blog/tutorial/zimbr ... ct-method/
peaceworks

Post by peaceworks »

Thanks for the info pajari, that's very helpful. We would like to continue to use open source, but as 8.8.15 is out of support by the end of the year and is the last officially released OSE version, how would you recommend we proceed? If the open source edition is not fully supported, if we purchase support licenses would we still be able to receive help from the support team? Sorry, Daffodil is still relatively new so I'm not completely up to speed on all this. Please let me know if this isn't the correct place to ask these questions.
jeastman
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by jeastman »

Hi paceworks,

Perfect place to ask such questions. Let me take a moment to clarify things a bit.

Synacor is not currently producing binaries for the Open Source version of Zimbra (since 8.8.15). These binaries have always been released without warranty/obligation without a support agreement (see https://www.zimbra.com/open-source-support/). We continue to have customers who have OSE support contracts which extend beyond the EOL date for the 8.8.15 binaries (and are on more recent versions). It is not accurate to say that the OSE version is "unsupported" (we verify OSE builds as part of every release), just that Synacor is not providing support for newer builds without an OSE support agreement. You should contact a Zimbra sales representative is this is something you are interested in. They can provide you with the options available.

Zimbra is, and will continue to be, managed as an Open Source project. This will not be changing. The overhead of providing the certified binaries was determined to be too much for the team to handle at some point in the past (this overhead is related to liability as well as manpower). I continue to look into ways to for us to address that, but we do not yet have a solution which is feasible. Anyone interested in utilizing the Open Source version of Zimbra will need to build it themselves (or utilize a build produced by someone else) and thus take responsibility for use of the product. Note that by using a build produced by a 3rd-party runs the risk of something being included in the product which may not be part of the official Zimbra distribution (know who you are getting binaries from).

The code for Zimbra follows the Zimbra Support Lifecycle (as defined officially in support contracts and on this page: https://www.zimbra.com/support/support- ... lifecycle/ (which usually accurate)). This defines that each version will see non-critical updates for the first two years after release and then only critical issues addressed for the remaining lifetime. This applies to the versions of the product which Synacor packages for release.

I would suggest those interested in utilizing the Open Source edition of Zimbra build the binaries for themselves at this time (such is the "cost" of using Zimbra as an Open Source product) or contact Synacor for information on using an official (and security screened) version of the product.

You mentioned Zimbra Daffodil as being "relatively new". That is correct in relation to the other versions available. However, Daffodil has been through our new, elongated Product Release process (documentation for which you will see in the soon-to-be released Zimbra website updates). This process covers Beta and Early Access programs where we work with specific partners to ensure the product is running in production environments before making the product "Generally Available" (GA). This process has been established to address historical concerns that previous product releases were not "production ready".

I am aware that there is demand, especially from this community, for Synacor to produce certified binaries for the Zimbra Open Source Edition. Being a successful Open Source project is about more than just providing binaries "free of charge" and making source code available online. Past decisions have put us in a position where many of these supporting things are difficult or not available. I am working to rectify those things and also to address many issues which were never tackled in the past (like contribution guidelines and code of conduct). You will see many of these changes coming in the future.

I hope that helps to answer your questions.
John Eastman