Migrating from 8 to 9 - import of mailbox data failing.

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
yellowhousejake
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 10.0.1.GA.4518.UBUNTU20_64

Migrating from 8 to 9 - import of mailbox data failing.

Post by yellowhousejake »

When I first built the new server on V9 I began testing the migration using scripts I wrote. The import script worked perfectly using the following command.

/opt/zimbra/bin/zmmailbox -z -m $user -t 0 postRestURL "/?fmt=tgz&resolve=reset" /mnt/migrate/$user.tgz ;

This command is run from a script that loops through a user list and reads exported accounts, importing them to the new server. No problems, I did it twice for all accounts doing test runs just two weeks ago.

Now, after fixing the issue of NG modules not loading, the import command no longer works. When running the script I get the following error after importing less than 1000 messages.

ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (Read timed out) (cause: java.net.SocketTimeoutException Read timed out)

Considering that the import worked prior to the NG modules being loaded I tried turning off smartscan and backups since I could see activity other than the import in the mailbox.log file. Doing so made no difference.

Honestly, after the past several weeks I am just frustrated. Our past two migrations with Zimbra went smooth as could be and Zimbra has been an excellent solution for us. No major problems and anything that did crop up was easily solved by thinking through the problem or a quick search for the error. Zimbra 9 has been a problem from the beginning.

Am I missing something obvious here? I am only dealing with 275 accounts and most have just a few MB of mail while I have a very few accounts with 20+GB of mail. This is not a heavily utilized server with TB of data and thousands of users. We have never needed to make config changes for performance.

DAve
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS 8 NE & ZCS 8 FOSS

Re: Migrating from 8 to 9 - import of mailbox data failing.

Post by cayaraa »

I think you can get around that issue by using curl to post the import using a command similar to this:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/curl --config /root/curl_config -H "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" -T user_mailbox_file.tgz "https://zimbraMailHost:7071/service/home/username@domain.com/?fmt=tgz" 
curl_config file would have something like:

Code: Select all

-k 
-s
-u admin:password
dominix
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 7.2.7 ... 8.8.15 ... 9.0.0

Re: Migrating from 8 to 9 - import of mailbox data failing.

Post by dominix »

if timeout problems occur you can temporarily modify socket_so_timeout
proceed this way

zmlocalconfig socket_so_timeout
socket_so_timeout = 30000

Change this with an high value e.g.

zmlocalconfig -e socket_so_timeout=3000000
zmlocalconfig --reload

Finally retry your import.

At end of import please restore the original value using this:

zmlocalconfig -u socket_so_timeout
zmlocalconfig --reload