Migration of Single Node 8.8.15 with NG Modules to 10 Daffodil

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
dbayer
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 10.0.5

Migration of Single Node 8.8.15 with NG Modules to 10 Daffodil

Post by dbayer »

Hello,

I'm reviewing the documentation to migrate from our existing 8.8.15 Single Node server with NG Modules to Version 10.0. The documentation says it's currently not supported. But it also looks, like the proposed multi-node method is using in place upgrades.

What if we just create a new server with a fresh install of 10.0, and the do a restore of our NG Backup Data? Is that supported?

In any case, will documentation of the supported process be available soon? I would like to have a plan in place well before support for 8.8.15 has expired.

Thanks,
Daniel
dbayer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Migration of Single Node 8.8.15 with NG Modules to 10 Daffodil

Post by dbayer »

One other thought.

Could We disabled NG Backup on the 8.8.15 server. Do a traditional backup on the same server. Then do a restore on 10?

The only NG modules we are using are backup and mobile.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

dbayer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:35 pmWhat if we just create a new server with a fresh install of 10.0, and the do a restore of our NG Backup Data? Is that supported?
There is no NG on 10.0.0 so you won't be able to restore your backup.

I have a test system which is on 9.0.0. It uses NG Mobile, Backup and HSM. The HSM is on local storage. I did an in-place upgrade to V10 and everything continued to work as much as I could test. The HSM data was still recognised. If I had intended to keep it, I'd have to create a new backup from scratch and probably either reset or re-provision the mobile devices but other than that it looked ok.

I think the main issues are where NG features like external HSM is used, or some of the delegated admin, chat, video and things like that. Frankly at this point Synacor hasn't been particularly clear about exactly what will and won't work.
dawood.shaikh
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Post by dawood.shaikh »

dbayer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:35 pm Hello,

I'm reviewing the documentation to migrate from our existing 8.8.15 Single Node server with NG Modules to Version 10.0. The documentation says it's currently not supported. But it also looks, like the proposed multi-node method is using in place upgrades.

What if we just create a new server with a fresh install of 10.0, and the do a restore of our NG Backup Data? Is that supported?

In any case, will documentation of the supported process be available soon? I would like to have a plan in place well before support for 8.8.15 has expired.

Thanks,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

In the case of multi-node setup, the in-place upgrade is supported only for non-mailstore nodes, i.e. LDAP, Proxy, MTA.
The upgrade from the single-node NG server is under testing and the documentation and the process will be published soon.
dbayer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dbayer »

Thanks for the info from both of you.

I look forward to reading the new documentation when it comes out.
paxtonleiny

Post by paxtonleiny »

dbayer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:35 pm Hello,

Thanks,
Daniel
Only non-mailstore nodes, such as LDAP, Proxy, and MTA, are supported by the in-place upgrade in a multi-node system.
The process and documentation for the upgrade from the single-node NG server are currently being tested.
rob77

Post by rob77 »

>The upgrade from the single-node NG server is under testing and the documentation and the process will be published soon.

So it's been 3 Months since....still no way to do a inplace upgrade of Standalone?

I need to do an inplace Upgrade of Zimbra 9.0/Ubuntu 20.04 Installation with NG to Zimbra 10...
gabaker
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_GA_3869.RHEL7_NETWORK P42

Post by gabaker »

So we are now many months past the release of Daffodil, and less than three months until 8.8.15 will be EOS and EOL. Yet we have no procedure or tool from Synacore on how to migrate a single 8.8.15 server with NG Modules to Daffodil.

Has anyone come up with a wiki or procedure on Best Practice to get this done? Has anyone done it successfully?

I have created a test server of Daffodil and things are working fine. Now need a procedure to move all email and accounts. We are currently just 200 mboxes with 200Gig of data on a 8.8.15 NE install on Centos7... New server is setup on Rocky8.

Any insights/links appreciated!
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Post by JDunphy »

FYI,

https://blog.zimbra.com/2023/09/extendi ... -zimbra-9/

Now that 9 has been extended to end of 2024, we need support for 8.8.15 extended also until end of 2024 or until they have a way to get us migrated with the NG modules in use.
dbayer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dbayer »

In the replies, they say there will be no extended support for 8.

I guess it's time to take another look at Carbonio.