Migrate server OS and FOSS release complex - help!?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Migrate server OS and FOSS release complex - help!?

Post by Martinwiertz »

Hello everyone,

Lasts weeks I am working on a way to migrate my Zimbra server to a new machine. I have read and tested a lot of migration methods but can't get it to work. I am reaching out for your advice. I am a private user.

Goal: Upgrade Ubuntu OS and migrate to the Intalio builds V10.
* Ubuntu is an old OS and need upgrade - to 20.04
* Zextras seems to stop providing new FOSS-builds and the provisioning of new builds is slow
* Zextras suite license expired and is not usable on the V10 version

Current: Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20221203.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18_64 FOSS edition.

What should be the first step?
I would like to start as new as possible and not in-place upgrades.

I want to try to upgrade the OS first. Ubuntu 20.04 with Zextras latest FOSS-Ubuntu20. This does not work.
I tried to works based on - viewtopic.php?t=69746 - but this does not work. (rsync and ldap export)
Output:
Verifying integrity of message store databases. This may take a while.
Error: assertion '-r /opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf' failed

Socket.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xde00080, needed 0xcd00080)

-----------------
(this article https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/ZCS_to_ZCS_rsync_Migration can not work because I want to upgrade and not stay on the same OS or Zimbra-Zextras.

I tried an in-place OS-upgrade but this was not successful. viewtopic.php?t=67390&start=10

Also I am thinking on restoring my production machine on the new machine and do an in-place upgrade. This looks a not common procedure if I look at the fora and articles.

Please point me in the right direction and I will test and try again.
tunguyen1080
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15, 10.0.5

Re: Migrate server OS and FOSS release complex - help!?

Post by tunguyen1080 »

Hello! i think i can help you with this problem, I migrated my zimbra 8.8.15 to zimbra 10 and carbonio successfully and. now it is working very stable
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Martinwiertz »

tunguyen1080 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:56 am Hello! i think i can help you with this problem, I migrated my zimbra 8.8.15 to zimbra 10 and carbonio successfully and. now it is working very stable
Please do help.

Last night tried to build a Ubuntu 20.04 machine + ZextrasFOSS_20.04_v9. Then I tried to rsync the data and export ldap etc. All through forum arcticles.
Result was not oke. Error message in my first post.
I think is it not possible to migrate to Ubuntu20.04+IntalioV10 in one go. Does it?
tunguyen1080
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15, 10.0.5

Post by tunguyen1080 »

Martinwiertz wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:43 am
tunguyen1080 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:56 am Hello! i think i can help you with this problem, I migrated my zimbra 8.8.15 to zimbra 10 and carbonio successfully and. now it is working very stable
Please do help.

Last night tried to build a Ubuntu 20.04 machine + ZextrasFOSS_20.04_v9. Then I tried to rsync the data and export ldap etc. All through forum arcticles.
Result was not oke. Error message in my first post.
I think is it not possible to migrate to Ubuntu20.04+IntalioV10 in one go. Does it?

I'm not exporting LDAP, just a list of users and their email data.
After reading instructions on migrating zimbra from many sources on google, I am writing a script to migrate zimbra to a new server and am currently testing it. Do you want to try?
Sorry my English is not good!
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Martinwiertz »

Yes, I want to try.

I am looking at the RSYNC method and maybe later the IMAPSYNC method. All a bit difficult.

Thanks!
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Martinwiertz »

Update - Migration was successful. Currently on Ubuntu20 and V10.0.5.

I migrated based on the extraction method. https://community.zextras.com/migrate-z ... -method-1/
Rsync was a problem and I migrated the user mailbox from the browser (export/import)

All is well currently.