CAN I USE MYSQL OR POSTGRESQL

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
sm6620

CAN I USE MYSQL OR POSTGRESQL

Post by sm6620 »

Hello there, I'm trying to install Zimbra 10 with a multi server installation and I would love to use Mysql or postgresql as the database as opposed to MariaDB. Is there anyway to do this? I have searched around the web but found nothing.

Any pointers will be well appreciated.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: CAN I USE MYSQL OR POSTGRESQL

Post by phoenix »

The simple answer to your question that I know of is no, you can't use another server other than the one installed by zimbra. Why do you want to use another database server?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
sm6620

Post by sm6620 »

I want to use another DB because i'm being tasked to install it by a customer and they would love to have MYSQL or Postgresql as their database. Anyway I told them it won't be possible based on my research and replies i've seen on the forum.

The next question now is that, is it possible for me to install the MariaDB on a separate server during the installation? My customer would like the database to sit on it's own separate server because of the load on it.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Looks like your customer doesn't know what is ZCS and how it works.

ZCS is "self contained". Like an appliance.
You can NOT use external daemons to replace the provided ones.

Edit because I missed the most important word in my post...
sm6620

Post by sm6620 »

Klug wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:18 pm Looks like your customer doesn't know what is ZCS and how it works.

ZCS is "self contained". Like an appliance.
You can use external daemons to replace the provided ones.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

If you don't mind me asking then, how might I point to an external maria DB instance. I haven't seen any documentation for version 10 multi server install. Dont know if I'm looking in the wrong places.

I would appreciate any good pointers.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

What makes your customer think that the default MariaDB installed as part of every mailbox server will be overloaded?

How many thousands of mailboxes per server is your customer expecting to run?
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

I missed the most important word in my previous post.
You can NOT use external daemons.
sm6620

Post by sm6620 »

L. Mark Stone wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:42 pm What makes your customer think that the default MariaDB installed as part of every mailbox server will be overloaded?

We are currently estimating about 22k total users. Not sure how I will split that and how many mailbox servers I will need. I'm a total beginner to this and any help will be greatly appreciated,
sm6620

Post by sm6620 »

Klug wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:19 am I missed the most important word in my previous post.
You can NOT use external daemons.
Oh thanks for that clarification. I got very confused there.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

sm6620 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:22 pm
L. Mark Stone wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:42 pm What makes your customer think that the default MariaDB installed as part of every mailbox server will be overloaded?

We are currently estimating about 22k total users. Not sure how I will split that and how many mailbox servers I will need. I'm a total beginner to this and any help will be greatly appreciated,
How many mailstores you will need is based on the mail volume, user access methods, sizes and compositions of the mailboxes and other related factors.

I have several customers with mailstores holding tens of thousands of mailboxes. But, these are smaller mailboxes, low mail volumes, and users access Zimbra via the web client only.

I have several other customers with serious Power Users (each user has 5-6 email clients accessing Zimbra simultaneously), hundreds or more emails/day/user, each user does a lot of folder sharing, big (~200GB+) mailboxes, and in some cases more than 10K email folders per user. In those cases we max out around ~1,000 mailboxes per mailstore.

So... sorry to say there is no one simple answer.

One other thing...

You can build really beefy mailstores: 12 CPUs and 96GB of RAM or larger, but you may not want to depending on your RPO/RTO targets.

Most of my customer want the shortest RPO/RTO possible, so I'm more inclined to build a greater number of smaller mailbox servers as opposed to a lesser number of larger mailbox servers.

For me, my personal preference is to let the MariaDB database get up to ~25GB regardless of the number of mailboxes on the server, and then add another mailstore. You don't have to stay that small, but if short RPO/RTO targets are important to you...

Hope that helps; sorry things aren't more concrete!
Mark