M2 Experiences?

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
jordandeamattson

M2 Experiences?

Post by jordandeamattson »

Hi All -
For those of you who have installed and are running M2, how would you describe your experiences in the following categories:
1. The Wows - It blew me away
2. The Yes - You fixed it
3. The Pain - Why is it this way
4. Here Be Dragons - Warn us away from the bad things you are seeing
Yours,
Jordan
mjfleck2000
Advanced member
Advanced member

M2 Experiences?

Post by mjfleck2000 »

I installed M2 yesterday on my test box FC3... easy install... /etc/init.d/zimbra stop./install.sh -u ./install.sh. ( I am waiting for Debian before go live!)
As I played with Zimbra, I made notes of what I liked,had problems with, wished for. So...

Way To Go Category:

The multicalendar view is excellent! This is how it should be. I can select or unselect which calendars to view AND have the appointments display in one view. Outstanding!
The overall system response feels quicker. Perhaps some performance tweaks were made?
Calendar printing is much better. Instead of a listing of events, we now can print a calendar.
Multi select for drag-drop works very well.
Problem/Question Category:

So far, spam filtering has not tagged anything as spam (spam is enabled ). I have lowered the spam settings to 10/40 tag/kill. No joy.
Email filter rules spontaneously change. I have set a rule to- From: contains badip.com Mark As read + File into /Junk. When I log in again later I see:

From: is badip.com Leave in Inbox + File into /Junk. (contains becomes is, /Junk becomes Inbox.
In calendar, right click on calendar brings up a menu. Selection New Appointment/New All Day Appointment is no-responsive. I tried the menu using Linux(Ubunutu)/W2k/WXP/Firefox/IE..... no response.
I have shared the admin calendar with my (Mike) account with Manager rights. How can I add/delete to the admin calendar from my (Mike) calendar view?

I have tried unselecting my calendar with ONLY the admin calendar checked. Adding an appointment adds to my calendar not the admin calendar.
RSS for email only returns error messages.
Wish Category:

In Calendar view, option to set the work day start time. I may have an appointment set to 7:00am for the next 4 Fridays. If I am in workweek view and I click on the arrow to show the next week, the view jumps to a default of 8:00am... I have to scroll up to see if I have any 7:00am appointments. Make an option to set the default starting time for viewing.
In Calendar, I have several calendars shared to me. I have made a "universal" calendar using the admin account. I put holidays on the admin calendar and then share the calendar to all users. Every time I log out and back in, only my calendar (calendar) is selected. I must again select the Holiday calendar (admin). Make selected choices of calendar "sticky". Or have a user option to have "sticky" calendars or to always start with only the user's calendars selected.
Calendar printing. It would be nice to be able to have the calendar colors also print. So my calendar items would print a different color from the Holiday calendar items.
Syncing to a PDA would impress my boss!
Overall, it is a very nice update. It is quite useable as is... but I would, of course, like to see some tweaks.
Good Job!! :)

Mike
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

M2 Experiences?

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="mjfleck2000"]The overall system response feels quicker. Perhaps some performance tweaks were made?

[/QUOTE]
A few, but many more are coming.
[quote user="mjfleck2000"]So far, spam filtering has not tagged anything as spam (spam is enabled ). I have lowered the spam settings to 10/40 tag/kill. No joy.

[/QUOTE]
If you look at the headers you can see the score for the message and the score required. By default we ship with DNSBL turn off. We'll post how to enable this and that might help if your getting hit by known spammers.
[quote user="mjfleck2000"]

Email filter rules spontaneously change. I have set a rule to- From: contains badip.com Mark As read + File into /Junk. When I log in again later I see:

From: is badip.com Leave in Inbox + File into /Junk. (contains becomes is, /Junk becomes Inbox.

[/QUOTE]
The filter UI has a few bugs. We will get these fixed in an upcoming release.

In calendar, right click on calendar brings up a menu. Selection New Appointment/New All Day Appointment is no-responsive. I tried the menu using Linux(Ubunutu)/W2k/WXP/Firefox/IE..... no response.

[/QUOTE]
Small buglet ;) It's fixed in the next release.

I have shared the admin calendar with my (Mike) account with Manager rights. How can I add/delete to the admin calendar from my (Mike) calendar view?

I have tried unselecting my calendar with ONLY the admin calendar checked. Adding an appointment adds to my calendar not the admin calendar.

[/QUOTE]
You should have a drop down menu in the calendar ('More Details') composer. You can pick which calendar to create the event in.

RSS for email only returns error messages.

[/QUOTE]
Can you post the errors?

Wish Category:

In Calendar view, option to set the work day start time. I may have an appointment set to 7:00am for the next 4 Fridays. If I am in workweek view and I click on the arrow to show the next week, the view jumps to a default of 8:00am... I have to scroll up to see if I have any 7:00am appointments. Make an option to set the default starting time for viewing.

[/QUOTE]
Yes the vew should be smart and scoll back to your first event. This is on our list.

In Calendar, I have several calendars shared to me. I have made a "universal" calendar using the admin account. I put holidays on the admin calendar and then share the calendar to all users. Every time I log out and back in, only my calendar (calendar) is selected. I must again select the Holiday calendar (admin). Make selected choices of calendar "sticky". Or have a user option to have "sticky" calendars or to always start with only the user's calendars selected.

[/QUOTE]
Yes. this is a known bug.

Calendar printing. It would be nice to be able to have the calendar colors also print. So my calendar items would print a different color from the Holiday calendar items.

[/QUOTE]
It's filed as an enhancement.

Syncing to a PDA would impress my boss!

[/QUOTE]

You can use IMAP today for mail.
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

M2 Experiences?

Post by JoshuaPrismon »

IN GENERAL M2 IS A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT.

IP TABLES BEING REMOVED IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT

THE SYSTEM SEEMS MORE RESPONSIVE

MOST THINGS WORK "THE WAY YOU WOULD EXPECT" OUT OF THE BOX

EMAIL IS VERY RESPONSIVE

IN GENERAL MY TODO LIST IS MORE WISHLISTY

IT'S A BIT OF PAIN RIGHT NOW TO SYNCHRONIZE EMAIL BETWEEN THE TWO BOXES. IMAPSYNC IS A GOOD START, BUT IT'S TOO EASY TO MESS THINGS UP (BY FORGETTING TO USE --SYNCINTERNALDATES

BETTER INTEGRATION WITH SPAMASSASSIN AND DSPAM WOULD BE NICE. (I MAY GIVE THIS A GO MYSELF, IT GIVES ME A EXCUSE TO DIG INTO THE JAVA BEHIND THE SCENES).

RIGHT NOW SPELL CHECKING SEEMS TO REQUIRE IT'S OWN HTTPD AND ISPELL PACKAGE. THAT'S A BIT RESOURCE HOGGY FOR ME.

IN GENERAL, I AM ENJOYING IT, AND JUST MOVED OVER MY PERSONAL WEB SERVER TO IT. SO FAR SO GOOD, AND I CAN'T WAIT TO START HACKING ON IT.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

M2 Experiences?

Post by marcmac »

[quote]IN GENERAL M2 IS A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT.
IN GENERAL MY TODO LIST IS MORE WISHLISTY

IT'S A BIT OF PAIN RIGHT NOW TO SYNCHRONIZE EMAIL BETWEEN THE TWO BOXES. IMAPSYNC IS A GOOD START, BUT IT'S TOO EASY TO MESS THINGS UP (BY FORGETTING TO USE --SYNCINTERNALDATES

BETTER INTEGRATION WITH SPAMASSASSIN AND DSPAM WOULD BE NICE. (I MAY GIVE THIS A GO MYSELF, IT GIVES ME A EXCUSE TO DIG INTO THE JAVA BEHIND THE SCENES).

RIGHT NOW SPELL CHECKING SEEMS TO REQUIRE IT'S OWN HTTPD AND ISPELL PACKAGE. THAT'S A BIT RESOURCE HOGGY FOR ME.

[/QUOTE]
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE WRT TO SPAMASSASSIN? DSPAM IS ON OUR LIST (ESP. SINCE THERE'S A HOWTO IN THE FORUMS :) )
SPELL CHECKING IN ITS OWN SERVER WAS DONE ON PURPOSE - WE'RE PLANNING TO USE THE APACHE INSTANCE AS AN INTEGRATION POINT FOR SEVERAL SERVICES, NOT JUST ASPELL - AND, WITH IT IN A SEPARATE SERVER, YOU CAN SCALE THESE SERVICES APART FROM THE MAILBOX SERVER, WHICH WOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE IF IT WAS WRAPPED IN THE TOMCAT INSTANCE.
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

M2 Experiences?

Post by JoshuaPrismon »

[quote]WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE WRT TO SPAMASSASSIN? DSPAM IS ON OUR LIST (ESP. SINCE THERE'S A HOWTO IN THE FORUMS :) )
SPELL CHECKING IN ITS OWN SERVER WAS DONE ON PURPOSE - WE'RE PLANNING TO USE THE APACHE INSTANCE AS AN INTEGRATION POINT FOR SEVERAL SERVICES, NOT JUST ASPELL - AND, WITH IT IN A SEPARATE SERVER, YOU CAN SCALE THESE SERVICES APART FROM THE MAILBOX SERVER, WHICH WOULDN'T BE POSSIBLE IF IT WAS WRAPPED IN THE TOMCAT INSTANCE.[/QUOTE]
THERE ARE STILL A COUPLE OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE IRONED OUT WITH DSPAM, TRAINING IS A PROBLEM (IS THERE ANY WAY IN ZIMBRA TO ASSOCIATE A ACCOUNT WITH A COMMAND IN UNIX?). IN ADDITION THE DSPAM HOWTO ONLY WORKS FOR A SITE WIDE DATABASE. PER USER DATABASE DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY YET (I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH THE TRUSTED USERS, BUT I AM STILL NOT SEEING INDEPENDEND DATABASES PER USER).
MY IDEAS WERE AS FOLLOWS:
  • DEVELOP A STANDARD WEBSERVICE BACKEND API THAT CONTAINS GENERIC SPAM FUNCTIONALITY (RUN A SPECIFIC MESSAGE THRU THE SPAM SCORING PROCCESS, RESCORE A MESSAGE AS SPAM OR HAM, MODIFY CERTAIN GENERIC PARAMATERS - CUTOFFS, ETC, PURGE THE SPAM DATABASE IF IT IS NO GOOD).

THAT BACKEND SHOULD BE FLEXABLE ENOUGH TO WORK WITH DIFFERENT SPAM PRODUCTS, LIKE SPAMASSASSIN AND DSPAM IN THE OPENSOURCE WORLD. DSPAM CAN STORE USER PREFERENCES IN EITHER A MYSQL DATABASE, OR A LDAP INSTANCE. THE BACKEND SHOULD BE ABLE TO MANAGE THOOSE PREFERENCES AND PRESENT A SINGLE GENERIC API TO CLIENTS.

THE ADMINISTRATION SERVER NEEDS A SIMPLE PAGE TO CONTROL SITE WIDE THRESHOLDS, GENERIC TRAINING AND THE ABILITY TO OVERRIDE USER PREFERENCES.

USERS NEED A AWAY TO SPECIFY THEIR OWN THREASHOLDS, DO THEIR OWN TRAINING, AND CORRECTING OF THE SPAM PROCCESS.

ANYWAYS, I WAS PLANNING ON WORKING ON THAT AS MY FIRST CONTRIBUTION TO ZIMBRA.
manthrax3

M2 Experiences?

Post by manthrax3 »

I'm getting really poor performance out of spamassassin in Zimbra M2. Any information about DNSBL would be great, as I'm not terribly familiar with spamassassin.
agnOstos
Advanced member
Advanced member

M2 Experiences?

Post by agnOstos »

[quote user="manthrax3"]I'm getting really poor performance out of spamassassin in Zimbra M2. Any information about DNSBL would be great, as I'm not terribly familiar with spamassassin.[/QUOTE]
I was too until I set kill to 33% and tag at 10%. The default 75% kill setting is too high imho...
Also, have you used zmtrainsa to teach it spam and ham yet?
manthrax3

M2 Experiences?

Post by manthrax3 »

I have not. I'll give it a try once I build up a catalog of spam.
vaitguy

M2 Experiences?

Post by vaitguy »

I have noticed some small items, overall, I love the enhancements....
Bugs (sort of):

-When a message is highlighted, and I click the delete button, it does not move to the next message as the armstrong release I had did. Not major, just something I see our end users going ape over.

-Inability to use the arrow keys to move up/down in the message list, or hit enter to open a message/thread. Again, not major, but a convenience thing.

-Spell checker seems to be lagging in the perf side.
I don't know if you have ever used a Realtor, but they have the combined IQ of my desk sometimes (no offense to any licensed real estate agents). Everything we consider, we have to look at it from the end user level before the tech side... go figure.
Thanks, great product still.