Install Zimbra without NPTL?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Daniel-Daniel

Post by Daniel-Daniel »

Hi, is it possible to install Zimbra without NPTL support and sacrifice some features?
I know this is kind of related to another thread I have but I thought it would be better in it's own thread. Sorry if thats wrong :-(
Daniel
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

As I mentioned in the other thread you'd need to recompile the binaries. So you'd have to install from source.
exothermic

Post by exothermic »

Can someone point me to the docs for installing from source. I went to all the work to create a Fedora Core 3 template for Virturozo, and now it turns out that NPTL is messed up on VE's. I think I may just install from source on AES3, since it is a little more standard to virturozo.
Anyone else put this on Virturozo, happen to have a clone that I could grab cause I'm lazy? I suppose I could stand to learn a little about how the components fit together, but I burnt out on qmail/vpopmail.
Miles
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

ZimbraServer/docs has a readme.
exothermic

Post by exothermic »

Two questions:
1.)There are alot of txt files in this dir but no readmes. There is even an INSTALL.txt, but it has all references to windows shares etc, that make no sense at all. The only other one that I can even see as been close is the cvs, but I don't want to build cvs
2.) Why is NPTL required, what is wrong with linuxthreads-0.10, this is why I have when I do:

getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION
From what I can tell they both will acomplish the same result, but there maybe performance differences. Is there someway to make it work with linuxthreads without recompiling?
Either way I still need help with the source install docs.
Miles
Daniel-Daniel

Post by Daniel-Daniel »

OK, i'll install it from source. One question. By installing from source, will I look the excellent 'auto-config' routines? The ones that ask me all the questions and save me from editing the config files manually in Vi?
Thanks everyone!
Daniel
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

the cvs howto IS the source install doc - you're going to have to build all of the 3rd party dependencies, regardless of whether or not you get the zimbra bits from cvs or as a tarball...
Daniel-Daniel

Post by Daniel-Daniel »

OK, thanks. Any idea what all the third party dependencies are?