Most emails missing in Yahoo

If Zimbra Desktop had a sync failure, it may have told you to post your error in this section.
sinservicio

Post by sinservicio »

Hello everyone! I'm very new to Zimbra, but the first impressions I got is that it is going to be a very useful piece of software. I'm not sure if this question goes here, but moderators please feel free to move my post. I installed Zimbra on one of our laptops. Things worked really great for at least one full day. Yesterday, when I logged into Yahoo webmail, all me messages in my inbox and other folders were gone, except for the messages in the sent folder. I would like to know if anyone can has experienced this, or if this is a bug, or is normal behavior. Thanks, in advance and look forward to using Zimbra full time.
sS
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

That is certainly alarming. It's not the expected behavior. Are these messages still in your desktop mailbox?
sinservicio

Post by sinservicio »

First, thank you for the reply. Fortunately, all me messages are still in the Zimbra Desktop. When we first encounter the issue, I created an "Archive" folder and moved all the messages to it to see if Zimbra would synchronize with webmail but it didn't. And I do agree with you jjzhuang, it is alarming.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

wait, you moved all messages to an "Archive" folder? if you do that of course the messages from other folders are gone, because you just moved them. I'm not sure why you expect a different behavior. Is it because you don't see the messages in "Archive" folder online?
sinservicio

Post by sinservicio »

Perhaps I'm not explaining things correctly.

1. An account was added.

2. Folders synched.

3. The next day, all the emails in Yahoo webmail are gone.

4. All the emails are in Zimbra Desktop.
Thats what happened. I don't know if Zimbra is set to remove the emails from the web server at the time of download, but I believed that is what's happening. I did move emails in Zimbra Desktop, just to see if those emails would sync with Yahoo, but they didn't. Thanks jjzhuang for your replies. Any idea of what's happening?
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

Well, according to your previous post, you moved all emails from all folders to a "Archive" folder. That will effectively tell the server to delete all those messages. Can you confirm that you saw the message were missing after you moved them from desktop to "Archive"?
sinservicio

Post by sinservicio »

I'm glad we're on the same page now :D. The reason why I created an Archive folder in Zimbra is because all the emails were gone from Yahoo webmail. You answered a question I had, if I move a message within Zimbra, would it move it in the server or would it delete it? I moved emails within Zimbra thinking it would do a two-way sync. So, just to reasure, when do email get deleted from the webmail server?
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

if a message is moved from one folder to another, say from "Inbox" to "Trash", we will first tell the server to delete that message from "Inbox", and then tell the server to add the same message to "Trash".
If you create a local folder like "Archive", by default it doesn't sync with server. If you want to sync this folder with server, right click on the folder to enable sync.
sinservicio

Post by sinservicio »

Thank you for your replies. I still don't understand why messages would get deleted if I move them from Inbox to Read Messages on the web, when in theory messages should be preserved. I will continue to explore zimbra and it's functionalities and see where it takes me.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

I don't think I can follow the sequence of events from your description. Could you recount exactly what you did step by step, and describe what you see after each step. Also please be specific about which step you did using mail.yahoo.com online UI and which step you did using zdesktop UI. Thanks!